how cold can the water get/

frank180reef

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
ok so with all the power outages ( mine included) I was wondering how cold the water can get and have the corals still live. This would assume proper flow/oxigen level

thanks Frank

Not sure, but I read an interesting thread on RC a while back about a guy who moved during winter and his transport water that his corals were in was in the low 60's if I remember right. He had an infestation of AEFW in his tank and the low temp actually killed them, all the corals survived.

Sorry to hear about you losing power Frank! If I had a tank larger than 6 gallons I'd offer to store some of your corals for you.

For comparison:
For some local ocean critters i have a tank in my basement. Its temp is 60 degrees. I have recently noticed kenya trees, finger leather and mushrooms sprouting up from the live rock i put in there. the amazing part is this tank only has 20w of 50/50 pc lighting on a 18" tank. all "corals" are on the bottom.
(the live rock came from my 80 degree reef tank and thats where the hitchhiking corals came from.)

I think the most important part is no temp drops quick, and plenty of oxygen.

Mine hit 63 before I found a generator on Monday. No losses yet, but may be too early to tell.

Even the corals that were out of water for 31 hours appear to have made it.

Back