How do I set up a quarantine tank?

Rick M

Milton
I've been reading about the advantages of quaratining your fish before putting them in the main tank. My question is, how do you set the QT up? I was thinking of having a little water pumped into a QT from the main sump, and returning it through a UV Sterilizer.....

How do other people do it ?

I'm clueless.....

I would keep a QT tank seperate from the main system. I just fill a tank with water from my sump. A mini water change. I'll put in some rock or pvc and a sponge filter.

Thanks Bill.

Do you put in a heater, and maybe a powerhead? How long do you keep the new fish in the QT...

Yes I add a heater and a powerhead and a light. Don't really need the light, but it's just a stock single no tube.
I like to keep a new fish for at least two weeks. It's a lot easier to watch and treat if necessary in a QT then in a display.

I have a 10 gallon QT. It has 1" and 2" PVC pipes for hiding, a small powerhead and a Aquaclear mini on it. I run carbon all the time in it unless I'm treating with copper (which I rarely do). There is a 150 watt heater as well.

Do you keep the QT running all the time, or just set it up when you are going to buy something? I am thinking the latter unless you are always buying something. Do you do any preventitive treatments while in QT?

Back