How long can you keep thawed mysis shrimp?

SteelerMike

Non-member
I finally have a few fish in my tank..a bicolor blenny and a yellow tang and bought some frozen mysis shrimp to feed them. I thaw out a cube of shrimp in some tank water and soak in garlic and then feed them. The problem is that it is way too much food for just 2 fish. If I keep it in a specimen cup in the fridge, would it be ok to feed this to them over the next 4 or 5 days or would it go bad?

Why not just cut the frozen cube into pieces? That's all I do. Then put the unused portion of the cube back in the package and back in the freezer.

Why not just cut the frozen cube into pieces? That's all I do. Then put the unused portion of the cube back in the package and back in the freezer.

That makes sense too. I guess I just didn't realize how much was in one cube and I thawed the whole thing out..prolly best to cut them in the future.

I keep mine for a week for 1 tank. I have never had a problem with it for 1 week but the last ones do start to smell bad. I wouldn't push it past that.

That makes sense too. I guess I just didn't realize how much was in one cube and I thawed the whole thing out..prolly best to cut them in the future.

Yup, even with cutting the cubes, I still sometimes cut the pieces too big and once they thaw, I realize, "WHOA. That's too much food!". It can be deceptive!

yea i go a week b4 the water turns orange (the water i thaw them in in the fridge. 1 small brick lasts a good 2 months

I mix up a batch of stuff (fish goo, mysis, brine, flake, cyclopeeze, pellets, seaweed, etc.) once a week. I feed a little (probably too much) and pop the rest in the fridge in a small tupperware bowl w/cover. Worst part is when I forget it in the office or basement.

Back