I cant get rid of nitrates and its driving me crazy!!!!

Things you should do ASAP to improve your tank:

DIY Algae scrubber. If you dont want to buy a quality skimmer then a cheap alternative is a scrubber. There are plenty of websites on how to do it. Get a cheap light and get that algae growing. Its an effective means of nutrient removal that will pay dividends in the future.

Get a RODI system. (find one used on the forums if money is tight) High quality water is the foundation of any successful reef tank.

Vacuum sand and do a big h20 change with RODI water.

Use the canister filter to run carbon and filter floss but that isnt necessary 24/7/365. Run for a few days and change out filter floss.

Add a couple circulation pumps, good water movement is 1 of 3 most important fundamentals of reef keeping. Water quality, water movement, lighting. The pumps will help the waste not build up but youre going to have to find a way to remove the detritus or employ it one way or another.

reliable tests are helpful but can be expensive and other things are more important. Take a sample to a good LFS and they will test it for free or small charge until you can right the ship.

I wouldnt even attempt adding fish until these issues have been resolved. Do no entertain idea of corals unless you can stabilize the water quality issues...youll only be throwing away $$$.

Ya i got stuff today to start building the algae scrubber. Im going to feed it from my overflow, through the scrubber and into the sump.

Im not sure i really need more flow in my display. I have at least 2000gph flowing up there.

I dont plan on getting any fish until i get this squared away, and i def dont plan on corals until i get it stable. When i do start with coral, the first thing im going to get is gsp and see how that goes for a couple months before i even think about adding anything else. My first fish will most likely be a few chromis and or clowns, but thats not until i get things going good first.

Im also going to put at least one piece of plexi glass to section my sump so i get more top water movement as well.

Im also going to blow off all the rock in the display without the return pump hooked up so no crap gets in the sump and let my fluval suck up a majority of the crap. Then do the same in my sump, followed by a massive water change.

I seen a water change method thats supposed to get nitrates down really fast. Im not sure exactly off the top of my head, but it was something like remove 75%, fill it 80%, remove another 60%, fill it 60%, drain it down 40%, fill it 60%, drain it down to 20%, then fill it 100%. Im sure the numbers %'s arent exactly right but some where along those lines. Since i have no fish i there, i can so it all wo salt so i dont waste a ton of salt draining and filling draining and filling lol.

If that doesnt work with the scrubber, blowing off the rocks then sucking up all the crap with the fluval followed by replacing the media again, then doing that crazy water change method, ill give up lol jk.

I may possibly to a diy media reactor as well. We'll see how this goes first though.

Just start a waterfall scrubber. Might take a couple months but nutrients will come down

Back