i cant get my acro too

J

jokersplayground

Grow outwards, the base is growing like crazy already attached to the rock and growing Lil branches. But the branches that I do I have has not grown or shown any new growth on the tips.

Here's my lvls
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm from my test kit
Phosphate .25
Aklinity 7.5
PH 8.3
Calcium 460
Magnisium 1360

It is a red planet

OK good lol. Is there anyway to get the branches to start growing. I was thinking of adding acropower to see if that will get it going. What do you think?

Are you carbon dosing?

If not why are you keeping you alk at 7.5?

If you are in fact not dosing push your alk up and drop you Ca

the tri factor (Ca,ALk Mg) for SPS is
8dkh 400Ca 1300Mg
9dkh 435Ca 1350Mg
10Dkh 450C 1400Mg

if you are dosing drop your Ca down to the 400 range

None those need to be spot on but those are balanced ratios to shoot for.
Right now your Ca is pushing your Alk down

As far as the base growing and the branches not to much. Early on a coral need to touch down and once it is secure it take about 3 months for it to start growing at full rate. Kinda like a tree building its root system.

Depending on the size a small clip on the end of a Branch can stimulate growth. That is why people who regularly frag their corals usually have faster growth rates

Last edited:
I do not carbon dose. I read a lot that acros like the alk around 7-8. So I figured do 7.5 lol.

That is how red planet grows, you can't do much to change it.

I use red sea coral pro. I really like this salt mix.

Not sure where you read thst but 8-10dkh is the acceptable range in our closed systems.

Yes, that is an acceptable range, but nothing is written in stone. In a low nutrient tank the Alk levels recomend are around 7 or 7-8 dkh.

The OP do not have a LNT , the phosphates levels are high. Need to be around 0.04 ppm.

Beside that, as Dong mentioned, Red Planet Acro grows a big encrusting section from which branches start to growth. I know that by fact because I have 2 Red Planets at my tank. One came from Dong colony almost 2 years,ago. And it took a while until it started to really growth.

Bottom line, the range 8-10 dkh as comente is not bad, but neither is the best. Of you really plan to keep many acros I will suggest to move to ocean levels parameters with Phosp around 0.04 ppm and Nitrates 0 or a little higher. Many fish and a strong feeding to keep your Acros with food and colored. The LNT can have a negative effect if you just keep it like that (color fading, for example).

The most important thing is that : " if your Red Planet is growing in your conditions or any other is growing with your tank parameters DO NOT CHANGE THEM, STABILITY in the long term is what will make your SPS happy, mainly Acros ".

Best !!

Yes, that is an acceptable range, but nothing is written in stone. In a low nutrient tank the Alk levels recomend are around 7 or 7-8 dkh.

The OP do not have a LNT , the phosphates levels are high. Need to be around 0.04 ppm.

Beside that, as Dong mentioned, Red Planet Acro grows a big encrusting section from which branches start to growth. I know that by fact because I have 2 Red Planets at my tank. One came from Dong colony almost 2 years,ago. And it took a while until it started to really growth.

Bottom line, the range 8-10 dkh as comente is not bad, but neither is the best. Of you really plan to keep many acros I will suggest to move to ocean levels parameters with Phosp around 0.04 ppm and Nitrates 0 or a little higher. Many fish and a strong feeding to keep your Acros with food and colored. The LNT can have a negative effect if you just keep it like that (color fading, for example).

The most important thing is that : " if your Red Planet is growing in your conditions or any other is growing with your tank parameters DO NOT CHANGE THEM, STABILITY in the long term is what will make your SPS happy, mainly Acros ".

Best !!
The tank is out of balance and not a low nutrient tank and if you read my advice I did clarify that I was giving advance based on the fact I did not know how he was running his tank.
if you read all the posts the questions were asked and clarified. the post you quoted was referring to a non LNT in the line of conversation that was happening.

The advice is strong and covers the gamut on the information on the whole I had to go on. It doesn't matter what corals we are talking about. Its more important the person understands the system they are running and the differences that exist so they can differentiate the information they are reading/researching and make an informed decision as to what changes to make to their tank. Clearly here there was some confusion.

But i think we are both saying the same general thing, know your tank as there are different ways of running a tank.

The tank is out of balance and not a low nutrient tank and if you read my advice I did clarify that I was giving advance based on the fact I did not know how he was running his tank.
if you read all the posts the questions were asked and clarified. the post you quoted was referring to a non LNT in the line of conversation that was happening.

The advice is strong and covers the gamut on the information on the whole I had to go on. It doesn't matter what corals we are talking about. Its more important the person understands the system they are running and the differences that exist so they can differentiate the information they are reading/researching and make an informed decision as to what changes to make to their tank. Clearly here there was some confusion.

But i think we are both saying the same general thing, know your tank as there are different ways of running a tank.

Well..... I find this a kind of strong answer, similar to the one you gave by saying " Not sure where you read this.....".

Just relax, you are giving an advice, I am giving another. Booth are OK and I still belive that the best is my final statement : " do not change anything". OP is not having a problem with the Red Planet. It is just the way this acro growth.

Cheers and have a good day !!!

Ps: I will also suggest you read twice my posting. Nothing was there afecting what your input was.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the advice. If I start to see any color change in my across I'm gonna try to bump up my alk. A while ago I did have a issue with a green slimmer that just slowly died couldn't figure it out cause my lvls was the same before as they are now. I have never had a issue with any green slimmers before. My thought was maybe it got an infection as I bought it as a fresh cut frag(fragged right in front of me).

Back