I hate cloudy water!!

You don't, "need," rodi for salt water tanks... Is it better? Sure, I know literally hundreds of reef tanks running on tap all around the area and they're all fine. What color is the water? Perhaps a free floating algae? That being the case a UV will wipe that out over night... Or you can try to correct the troubled parameter over some time.

3 months in thats usually the issue in regard to clarity... Some free floating algae getting out of hand.

they have no problems of phosphates?

The filters are always running a pura-pad or poly-filter if the tank is tap water, at least ones I work on... Phosphates haven't been an issue. Within the last year I started using R/O on my own tanks, before that for 20 years in salt water tanks I've used tap and never had an issue as long as the filter was setup proper for tap and the water was conditioned.

Obviously you want the best water possible, but buying a $300 dollar ro setup isn't a, "fix," for this guys issue. At least not in my eyes, unless he's got time and money to burn.

I wouldn't trust tap when keeping sensitive stuff, but fish only and softy tanks, never been an issue.

I wouldn't run a tank without ro/di.
All other methods are like"slamming the door after the horses already escaped".
In other words you'll find yourself treating for stuff that should have never made it in the tank in the first place.JMO

I wouldn't run a tank without ro/di.
All other methods are like"slamming the door after the horses already escaped".
In other words you'll find yourself treating for stuff that should have never made it in the tank in the first place.JMO

I wouldn't run my own tanks without RODI either, at least not at this point... Tap isn't as bad as some people make it out to be though, especially for those who haven't been in the hobby very long. A few chemicals and pads on hand is usually all you need to make tap safe for hardy corals.

Feather dusters and a filter sock over my drain pipe from my overflow solved my cloudy water issues....running a HOB filter with some water scrubber media helped as well.

If it's SERIOUSLY bothering you, running a filter and using a water clarifier might work as well, but I'd be reluctant to use the water clarifier unless it's your last resort....I had nothing but problems with it when I used it.

Back