i have ich in my tank...please help!!

dalejr8chvy86

Non-member
:mad: hello all. i have a problem in my reef tank and im looking for some help. i just noticed that my tang and 2 clowns have ich. this is the first time i have had ich in my saltwater tank. the tanks been up for 5 months and everything has gone smoothly until now. i have heard that you can not use cooper meds because of the inverts and corals. i have some shrimp, hermit crabs, snails and a horseshoe crap. i also have some big mushrooms and corals. anyone know what the best medication to use would be. i just bumped up the heater to raise the temp a couple degrees. any help any one can give would be greatly appreciated!!! thank you

There have been a number of threads recently on ich, and even one in the first page here. Do a search on ich, there has been a ton of advice typed out here in just the last week.

Where to begin???

Oh yea, WELCOME :)

Bummer in the Ick.
It's such a long discussion, I won't try to cover it but just offer a couple of suggestions.

1. There are different approaches to dealing with ICK. Overall, you need to choose your approach and be clear in why, then stick to it. Basically your either going to try to manage it, or attempt to eradicate it.

2. There are many opinions on this topic and they can conflict a lot. IMO/IME you really need to take in all the info you can, then make a deliberate decision. (I personally am on one extreme end of the spectrum so take my advice with a grain of salt).

3. Read up, there's a lot of discussion here on the BRS site if you search for it, and you can also find some great info on the RC fish disease sticky's.

As for your immediate question,
Yes, Don't dose copper with inverts or LR.

If anything make sure the water quality is good, feed the fish well, and start doing a lot of researching. (Then decide what to do next)

Edit; Jay and I aren't trying to beat you over the head about using the search function, we were just typing at the same time :)

Back