I hear mixed opinions on Flame Angels in reef tanks - Discuss?

ShadowACE

Non-member
Hi Folks

Now that our 90G reef is ready for fish, we really want a Flame Angle.

I am constantly hearing mixed reviews about having them in a reef tank, yet I look at some reef pics and I see Flames and other dwarfs.

Who out there has this specimen among your clams and corals?

Any other dwarf angel successes?

Buy a sacrificial green Trachophlyllia place it somewhere were it is hidden (from your vision because half dead corals are an eye-sore, not from the light that would kill it even quicker) If the angel is going to pick on anything, they will pick on the green Trachophlyllia (I have no idea why green Trachophlyllia, but that is their favorite). So long as they have a green Trachophlyllia to munch on, it will leave everything else alone.

Trachophlyllia is a really hearty coral and even with several small angels picking on it, it will take several years for them to kill it. When it does finally die, just replace it - consider it live food.

I've had pretty good luck with them in the past... Although I've never had one in a full blown mixed reef like I have now... I just picked up a 1 1/2" flame today at a LFS and I'm taking the chance it'll be ok... I think a big key to success is to keep it well fed; use brine with spirulina algae... Also having a algae sheet in the tank should help IME...

I had one for a year, never saw it pick at anything. Then I picked up some zoos from another reefer, found it picking at them. It was not picking algae off, it was eating the polyps. Then I don't know if it suddenly got a tate for corals, but it started picking at all my soft corals and had to get rid of it. On the plus side my clowns are out much more now as he was kind of a bully to them. Good luck!

I had a flame angel when i started my current system, and had it for 4 months in with my sps and zoas... never saw it nip anything... got to the point most of my sps had absolutely no polyp extension... removed the flame angel, and made no other changes, within 2 days i had great polyp extension and ever since... my coral beauty angel i now have in my fuge, is also not coral safe...

That is my experience with them... and i have also had other dwarf angels in the past...

No issues for me in the 3 1/2 years I've had mine. One thing I do for my 'pickers' (Tang, Heniochus, Foxface, angel) is to put a couple fresh romaine leaves in a veggie clip on one end glass of the tank. It becomes a social 'salad bar' for them and gives them something to pick at all day. They often go over together to browse. Have never had anyone pick at corals.

I think the important thing to emphasize here is, not those who have been lucky, but those who havent... lets say its 50/50, is it really worth risking it, is what u wana ask urself... and do the corals mean more than the fish... it varies from person to person... for me, i grow and love corals, and the fish are secondary... though i love my fish too :) but its.a no brainer for me... no angels with my corals, ever... GL to the OP, with whaever they decide...

I had one for more then a year before one day he decided to start eating my green slimer. Then I noticed I had no polyp extension on almost all my sps.. Few days latter after a long and frustrating fishing durby I finally caught the little devil and quickly relocated him... I would say small there ok if you wanna risk it. but once they start to grow a little there appetite changes and they want the good stuff (polyps)....

The real bottom line is that it's a risk, and I've heard of flames that start nipping years down the line after being model citizens. I kept a Potter's angel in a reef and he picked at acans, blastos and clam mantles.

It's not that it can't be done, you just need to evaluate the risk. If you really want to try one in a reef the thing you should think really hard about is IF you had to pull down some/all of your rockwork to pull the sucker out, how easily could you do it.

I had a flame angel before i had the crash for almost three years and didn't bother anything in my tank, he was one of my favorite fish in my tank

I bought one from Aqua Addicts a few days ago, he didnt tell me it wasnt reef safe. I noticed my coral polyp extensions looking bad. I've been trying to figure out why when I read this post, I watched him and sure enough he's picking at everything in my tank including my clam! Im now trying to capture him.

Back