I need help to figure this out

vinny

BRS Member
OK I don't get it I thought b/c of the presents hair algae in my tank that the PO4 levels would be high, but I keep coming up with 0 and I'm using Salifert kit my par. are:
Salifert phosphate 0
Salifert magnesium 1350
Tropic Marin alkalinity 8-9dkh
Instant Ocean calcium 300 (very low trying to raise it)
Instant Ocean ph 8
Instant Ocean nitrate 0
Salt 1.028 (Tropic Marin)
The kits a new except the Instant Ocean over a year old. I'm using DI since I start two years ago also using TM salt. For lighting 2-250 14k MH (6months)and 2-48" actinics VHO's (1 month). If I think of something else I'll post or you have any questions please ask one more thing I change 10gl. weekly and add 1gl. Seacheam kalkwasser twice a week thanks for your help.

I'm battling a pretty bad case myself w/ pretty much 0 readings for Phos as well, it's my understanding that it's prob reading 0 because the hair algae is absorbing it all.

I'm battling a pretty bad case myself w/ pretty much 0 readings for Phos as well, it's my understanding that it's prob reading 0 because the hair algae is absorbing it all.

That is exactly what I have heard. You will always read 0 because the algea is taking it all out. The only way to really know is to get rid of the Phos and then test again. Maybe a Phos reactor could help?

So what are you doing for it.

fwiw - several years ago when I still had my 20 G nano I was in the same position, readings were 0, including phospahtes, and I had a patch of hair algae that just would not go away. It was in a high flow area. Anyway, in frustration, I tried turning out the lights for three days - not my idea, I read about it on RC. It worked like a charm and never came back.

On the other hand, now I have a 37G cube, with high phosphates according to my last test from a BRS meeting and NO hair algae - go figure.

That is exactly what I have heard. You will always read 0 because the algea is taking it all out. The only way to really know is to get rid of the Phos and then test again. Maybe a Phos reactor could help?

Yup i'm running a Phos. reactor and just bought some new media for it today.

So what are you doing for it.

Telling myself it looks nice.:D:eek:

Well I run Pura in a Phosban reactor (4 months now) but thats not making a big dent (in the hair algae anyway). I'm just beefing up my snail population & trying to bring my mg up a bit, I'm also manually removing as much as I can.

I don't feed much flake food. I might try lights out for a couple days and maybe try the debatable sugar dosing again.

fwiw - several years ago when I still had my 20 G nano I was in the same position, readings were 0, including phospahtes, and I had a patch of hair algae that just would not go away. It was in a high flow area. Anyway, in frustration, I tried turning out the lights for three days - not my idea, I read about it on RC. It worked like a charm and never came back.

On the other hand, now I have a 37G cube, with high phosphates according to my last test from a BRS meeting and NO hair algae - go figure.

I've had this stuff in a 5gl. bucket that I forgot to dump with lid on for a week when I went to dump it I removed the lid and it was still green no lights and no water movment. In my tank I slowly cut back on the lights from 10hrs. to 4 hrs. and nothing has changed.

Vinny, your Ca is 400 and Alk is 8dkH. I don't have a phospate test kit so I can't tell you.

BTW I'm using Elos test kit.

I've been their with the sugar was working for a while then I slowly brought it to a stop when I started the phos. reactor, I'm thinking of just doing both.

Vinny, your Ca is 400 and Alk is 8dkH. I don't have a phospate test kit so I can't tell you.

BTW I'm using Elos test kit.

Hay Peter, thanks a lot I forgot that you had a sample I'm glad you came up with 400 man I was feeling bad about that.

Don't be sorry I wasn't in any rush for it thank you for your help. BTW the acan isn't doing so good one of the heads is almost gone. I don't know why they will not eat my acan is ready to eat the first sign of food in the tank.

One more thing I do have a large basket of cheato in my sump and as for feeding I only feed twice a week.

What is your pH (8.0? 8.1 or 8.2?)? Raise the pH a little over 8.3 will reduce hair algae growth.

Back