I'll be speaking at the Nov. 2nd meeting - what would you like me to talk about?

What would you like Greg Hiller to speak on at the Nov. 2nd 2013 BRD meeting

• Reef Keeping Chemistry

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Reefkeeping Disaster Avoidance - How to Keep Murphy and His Gremlins at Bay

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • How to Save a Buck and Still Have an Awesome Miniature Reef

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Coral Propagation Techniques

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Larval Rearing Techniques

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • What Corals Need and Why - The basics of coral biology and reef keeping chemistry

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
Looks like I'll be speaking at the meeting way down south in Taunton in early Nov.

I have a number of different talks 'worked up' that I have given at other reef clubs and conferences.

I've given talks on:

1. Reef Keeping Chemistry - details on how corals remove different elements from the water, what they need, how it can be added back. Benefits and pitfalls of various water chemistry maintenance methods. What is actually IN saltwater, how one ion affects the availability of another. Common mistakes and misperceptions about water chemistry. The most important things to test for and how often. While this topic might be a little ‘dry’ I know that it is extremely important to understand to have a successful reef tank, and while there a number of great speakers on the ‘club circuit’ that can speak on a variety of topics, this is one that not many can do justice to (IMO). There is a chance that Randy H-F (THE expert on reef-keeping chemistry [IMO]) might be able to speak at the Dec. 2014 BRS meeting, so keep that in mind.

2. Reefkeeping Disaster Avoidance - How to Keep Murphy and His Gremlins at Bay - I go over the most common ways that people wipe out their reefs. I describe why I believe that tanks DON'T just 'crash'. By explaining some basics of physics/engineering, biology, and chemistry of a tank we can explore how to avoid the most common mistakes. I talk about the most critical pieces of equipment for a reef/fish tank and the way to minimize the risk of their failure.

3. How to Save a Buck and Still Have an Awesome Miniature Reef - I go over simple methods and materials you can use to minimize the costs of a moderate sized reef tank. Do it Yourself techniques, equipment you can make yourself, chemicals you can safely acquire from alternative sources, methods for cleaning and reusing equipment, etc.

4. Coral Propagation Techniques - this is generally easier done as a workshop, but we might be able to work something out that would allow me to demonstrate different techniques of coral propagation. I've successfully propagated nearly every coral I've ever owned, and can describe tips and tricks that are perhaps not common knowledge.

5. Larval Rearing Techniques - The basics of how to set up micro algae and minute marine invertebrate cultures and how to use these to raise clownfish, other marine fish with moderate sized larva, or invertebrates like shrimp.

6. What Corals Need and Why - The basics of coral biology and reef keeping chemistry. The parameters that are important and how to maintain them with minimal fuss.

So, let me know what you’d like to hear about. If the poll comes back with a few topics nearly tied I may be able to combine a topic or two.

If you want to comment or go into additional detail about what you'd like to hear about just post in the thread.

If I may, I would like to request Reef Keeping Chemistry :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

The difference between #1 Reef Keeping Chemistry and #6 What Corals Need and Why - The basics of coral biology and reef keeping chemistry:

#1 gets into a very detailed understanding of what is going on in the chemistry of the water. I go into the many methods for calcium and alkalinity additions and how they function and in some cases can work together. I also discuss other elements and compounds and how they are taken up by corals. I talk about ion balances, why magnesium helps maintain calcium levels, how to correct imbalances, etc. #6 touchs more on all the things that corals require. Light, water motion, temperature, salinity, etc., and how to provide these basic parameters without adding every bell and whistle.

Back