I'm breaking down my 7 year old 90 gallon

stingythingy45

BRS Member
The tank is over run with Nepthea and Rhodactis mushrooms.
I just can't keep up with all the new growth that's sprouting out everywhere.:mad:

I also have a nasty break out of flat worms.
I'm not getting out,just breaking it down and moving the rock to a 40 breeder and cube in my basement.
One third of my rock is in the breeder with a 150 halide over it.

I'm going to keep about half the rock live and kill and bleach clean the rest.
I have all new rock for the tank as well as sand. Planning to do some nice pillars of live rock with possibly a cave.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
The 70 gallon sump/20 gallon refugium , return pump as well as the skimmer are all dismantled and cleaned.

I want to build a nice enclosure that heavily insulated for the sump. Leaving room for the skimmer venturi tube to pull fresh air.
My electric bill was outrages and I'm thinking it was the 300 watt heater.

What wrasse would work out for cleaning up any flat worms that might make it through?
I hope to treat the rock and try to save some of my corals.
Wish me luck with this venture.

I would recommend the yellow coris, great tank mate and a beast when it comes to unwanted pests

I would recommend the yellow coris, great tank mate and a beast when it comes to unwanted pests

Thanks,
Another reefer recommended the same fish.
I think that's going to be my next purchase, and I'll be QTing for a while.
My tank has been parasite free since being set up.

Very disease resistant fish...... Although I'm big on qting, wrasses never do well from my exp so in they go!!

Good Luck Bob, what a pain that is. I just built a new setup, while enjoyable I am thinking WHY????

Derek

I just looked up the yellow coris but it says reef safe with caution. Have you guys had any issues with yours?

I have one in one of the frag tank, so far so good.

had one myself. was a model citizen and one of my favorite fish. As I am currently having a canopy built, I may get another since jumping will be minimized. The one I had for over a year jumped one day.

They are coral safe but i think its the worms/shrimp/snails that "might" temp them. Mine never did a thing......just ate every brittle/fire worm in my tank. When it was running, you could feed my tank heavily and not see one pop its head out, she was a monster.

Thanks for the info everyone. Guess I'll plan on adding one to my tank. Sorry for hijacking your post stingy lol

My yellow coris just jumped out of the tank! Luckily I saw it happen. I have a screen cover over the tank but he bolted so fast he bumped the cover up and kept going.?!

A few pictures.
50% of the rock has been moved to the basement holding tank. One piece is approx. 30 lbs. that's still in the tank.
Everything seems to be doing good so far.:)

Attachments

• Tank11.jpg
    Tank11.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Tank 14.jpg
    Tank 14.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 164
I don't know. Anybody interested in seeing this reboot of my 90 gallon AGA with a basement sump?
Maybe I'll have a mod move this to the DIY forum if so.
Anyways, here is my sump,70 gallon stock tank. I painted the base and reattached the freshly cleaned pump(GenX PCX40).
My plan is to figure a way to heavily insulate this sump to help maintain water temps in winter. Thus saving money on my electric bill.
Either that or I'm going to add another zone to my oil fired furnace.:p
I'm going to look into some bathroom type vinyl sheets for wall covering behind the sump.
Salt creep makes a mess out of painted wall.

Attachments

• sump 0030.jpg
    sump 0030.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 135
Back