Impulse buy (hello from the Cape)

mountaineer

Non-member
Hi everybody. Great forum...I've lurked for a couple weeks. I'm originally from West Virginia, but I've been living way out on Cape Cod for a year now.

I am returning to aquariums after a 20 year hiatus. When I was a younger, I kept cichlids and Synodontis cats, but really wanted a reef aquarium. Too many obstacles at the time, particularly that: 1) we lived way out in the mountains and far from any saltwater fish store, and 2) I knew that when I took off for college, my parents wouldn't be able to keep up a reef while I was gone. I did a lot of research (the second volume of Julian Sprung's Reef Aquarium had either just come out or was about to), but never took the plunge.

Now that my wife & I are a little more settled, we've been talking about a smallish reef tank (our condo is small and we might move across town eventually). But I had cold feet, simply because there are so many equipment options these days (a lot changes in 20 yrs!) and I didn't know where to begin, especially with how expensive new gear is.

I made the mistake of browsing Craigslist last week, and I found a used set-up for $75. Just couldn't pass it up. A guy had moved up to a larger tank, and I got a 27 gallon Marineland cube, an Aquatic Life nano protein skimmer, an Aqueon Pro Heater, an 18" Marineland Reef Bright LED, and a Fluval 204 canister filter (I'll probably chuck the canister for a simple HOB). It's all in great shape.

I'm sure I'll have questions down the line. Right now, I'm doing research and I plan to set up the tank in January, after holiday travels are over. We live way out on the Cape and we're easily 2.5 hours from good fish stores, but we'll make it work. I hope to start a basic tank with two or three beginner friendly fish and some soft corals. The distance from an LFS is going to be a challenge -- we have to go to Boston this weekend, so I'll check out two or three stores. Plus I hope to get to the one in Seekonk someday.

We're doing this on a budget, and we'll have to take it slow, but I'm already lusting after an RODI unit...

If there are any stores I should check out in Boston this weekend, let me know! I'm coming up from the south.

Welcome Aboard!

Check out the forum header often for meeting, speaker and DIY event information.

If you are coming that close to Boston the meeting is Sunday and only 1/2 hr further north.

See you around soon. There are a few members in the Cape area.

Good Luck!

Underwater world in Taunton, off rt24/495 and lovely pets in Quincy off of rt3/128 split (coming up from the cape) Two closest that I can think of off the top. Also new store which I've yet to make it to in stoughton <off of 128 from rt3> Aidens coral cove. Welcome to BRS!

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard!

Check out the forum header often for meeting, speaker and DIY event information.

If you are coming that close to Boston the meeting is Sunday and only 1/2 hr further north.

See you around soon. There are a few members in the Cape area.

Good Luck!

Cool! Thanks for letting me know. Would love to make a BRS meeting. I'll probably have to get back to the Cape Saturday night, but sometime I'll go.

Last edited:
Underwater world in Taunton, off rt24/495 and lovely pets in Quincy off of rt3/128 split (coming up from the cape) Two closest that I can think of off the top. Also new store which I've yet to make it to in stoughton <off of 128 from rt3> Aidens coral cove. Welcome to BRS!

Thanks! I'll check them out. Getting off the Cape is a lot easier now that summer traffic is trickling away...

Okay, I have a heater question. The used heater is 150 watts, recommended for a 55 gallon tank. My tank is only 27 gallons. Will this overheat my tank? Should I get a smaller heater (like 100 watt)?

I'd appreciate any advice!

It will not overheat the tank. I would highly recommend using a digital thermometer to calibrate. The numbers on the top the the heater are not always accurate.

It will not overheat the tank. I would highly recommend using a digital thermometer to calibrate. The numbers on the top the the heater are not always accurate.
i dont mean to take over the thread ,but i have a dig thermometer and a regular standard thermometer and i have a 2 degree difference. i go by the standard thermometer and im not sure this is the best choice , but i dont have much confidence on the digital thermometer as it cost the same as the standard.:confused:

Okay, I have a heater question. The used heater is 150 watts, recommended for a 55 gallon tank. My tank is only 27 gallons. Will this overheat my tank? Should I get a smaller heater (like 100 watt)?

I'd appreciate any advice!
The only thing to consider with that heater is that if for some reason it were to get stuck on it would easily overheat your tank. I've had issues with heaters in the past so were it me I would pick up a couple smaller heaters, maybe two 50 watt units if possible. Good luck with your new setup and keep us posted on the progress.

The main problem with an oversize heater for the tank volmue is if it fails in the "ON" position the excess heating capacity can quickly cook your tank. Functionally normaly it will cycle on/off more often.
Jim

So your the one who got it :) I almost went for it to use as a sump for my DT which is the same tank. Its a great tank in my opinion, a member on here gave me one a year ago. I use a medium sized CPR regium with built in skimmer on it which fits the 27g cube perfectly if you decide to go sumpless, and a 200w heater.

UA definitely a good stop in tewksbury, Aidens coral cove in stoughton.

Back