Incredible tank vid $$

I am putting this out there to see what you all think, and remember, I am a fellow hobbyist, that loves this hobby.
That tank is kind of excessive. I respect everyone’s freedom, but, this kind of stuff is what red flags our cherished hobby with those that seek to destroy our freedom to do this. Those are some spectacular colors and what a variety of variants on similar species/same species.
If the owner assured me that over five years he collected frags and grew most of these from other captive specimens, then that would be cool. Somehow, I doubt that is the case. To be clear: I am not jealous, or raining on the parade, that display is not my thing aquaristically anyway. It is too artificial and looks nothing like a wild reef would. It looks like Pee-Wee’s Funhouse to me, but, that is me. Those are some darn beautiful and unique animals, for certain.

Last edited:
That tank is kind of excessive.
If the owner assured me that over five years he collected frags and grew most of these from other captive specimens, then that would be cool. Somehow, I doubt that is the case.
Couldn't agree more, so many people just go and buy up colonies and slap them in, are these surviving, growing or dying.

I agree with everyone. While that’s definitely a bit excessive and the coral all looks a little squished, I feel like no tank really looks like a natural reef- there’s no blue light in the ocean, lol! But really, if he actually checks his water daily and if he’s monitoring it and keeping everything healthy then I think it’s ok!

The lack of water motion creeped me out. O2 saturation dropping!! Get that pump back on!! So unnatural, Want to see those polyps swaying. Some ridiculous specimens and colors though

To be fair, if he didn't know what he was doing all those euphyllia would start bailing out with all the nute consumption
Well, we may never know. But I hope you are right, and that they start propagating off those beauties, but... there is one other serious issue with that tank- where is the real space for that coral to even grow? That Euphyillia garden in particular. Will he even get splits and new heads with them show-horned in there?

I am old school and have never pushed the envelope or have the money to blow on trying, but, I guess my point is- even if I did- I would be cautious. These are animals, after all, not candy, or paints you splash on a canvas. This kind of setup looks like it probably exists on a razors edge. One little slip and the whole beautiful lot goes to brown jelly. Sorry to go up on a soapbox, but I used to study these creatures when I was younger and know the plight they face, mostly at the hands of the globalized economy and the fact that us humans like to be very comfortable and not the reefing hobby, but I digress. Enjoy all. I thank you guys for not clobbering me for my honesty.

Last edited:
I am old school and have never pushed the envelope or have the money to blow on trying, but, I guess my point is- even if I did- I would be cautious. This kind of setup looks like it probably exists on a razors edge. One little slip and the whole beautiful lot goes to brown jelly.
Very true. Would be so sad to see something bad happen like that

Pshhhhhhh. My 3 Hawaiian Yellow Tangs will be worth twice that in a couple years.

Lol, we’re all just hating.
No hating here, just trying to learn if this is even possible (long term successful sustained husbandry on a display like this), or is it just a risky treasure chest? Hawaii will reopen, give it a few months. Generally- if you look at my first post, you will see I am concerned for all of us being able to get specimens and question if this approach is the way to sustain our hobby- or wreck it for our kids and theirs.

It's a work of art to me. A very expensive, and very temporary, work of art. Based on the mostly single-headed hammers, it cant be more than 2-3 months since it was set up. In 2-3 more months, it will have to be seriously thinned out or taken down altogether, since there is no room, and many of those corals don't get along if they are close to one another. But, for 2-3 months, it will look super cool. I think this type of tank is great for a display at a show, or something like that. Not so great for my living room.

Back