incredible colors

Corwyn

I am in Raynham
HI all,

So I found several sites on FB doing coral and frag auctions.
Some of pics they have up are showing INCREDIBLE colors I've never seen in any book, public aquarium, or documentary on reefs.

Where do these colors come from? how real are they?

Just wondering.

High blues and an orange filter. As long as you run your blues high the corals will look spot on, I personally have my kessils ramp to a much bluer spectrum at prime viewing time 6-9pm so I can see the colors pop. Just bought a few cornbred corals(high-end eBay seller) and they look just as advertised when under heavy blue.

I agree with Granite. Blues before and after work. Set for grow when I'm at work. Always look at lighting before you buy. Some corals wonderful blue, but tan under blue/white. Others look great under blue/white light.

I ask vendors to pop on white lights before buying. That piece that is crazy colors under blues often times is brown and greenish brown under white lights and looks terrible. Since I run blue and white black box led I ask for whites to be equal to blues then buy.

Hard to do when you buy online though.

OK, thanks for the info .
I use hydra 26 and I've been playing around with the different files ( another pet peeve about the STUPID names those have that tell you nothing)

SO Hydra 26. Which Blue are you talking about specifically?
royal or blue?

Also, you've commented that it isnt good for growth.
I mostly have lps and fish. Will do some SPS but limited and I would like a clam eventually.

I use the saxby schedule that you download right from the ai site and seem to be having pretty good success with it.

You could always download that file and alter it to your liking.

Both growth and coloring seem to coming in with the light and have nothing bad to say about it.
58ac233fbeabfc44308c866343a746e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got out just as the LEDs made a debut. I am getting back in now. I have t5s and a 180 gallon. I am running a 30 gallon cube with halide only at work. I actually find the blue light selling VERY ANNOYING. That is not how I will view my tank while they grow, so what do I care? The FFM was like a lava lamp palooza. Pretty sad that we can’t even appreciate nature for what it really looks like anymore. Is the sun going all royal blue after we get home from work in the future? I had to comment, as I think it is weird. Sorry for the rant.

Looks like this is the thread to rant about blue lighting. I'm with you all. The crazy Disneyland electric light parade stuff drives me nuts. At the Frag Farmers market I think I was the only person left with lights that don't give you a headache. Unfortunately, hard to compete then. I try to run my tanks the way lighting looks on a natural reef at about 30 ft depth. I don't know how many folks out there dive, but the natural reef is not lit with blue LEDs, I can tell you that much.

Looks like this is the thread to rant about blue lighting. I'm with you all. The crazy Disneyland electric light parade stuff drives me nuts. At the Frag Farmers market I think I was the only person left with lights that don't give you a headache. Unfortunately, hard to compete then. I try to run my tanks the way lighting looks on a natural reef at about 30 ft depth. I don't know how many folks out there dive, but the natural reef is not lit with blue LEDs, I can tell you that much.
I dove in Key West last year and everything looks the same green/gray color.

Shallow Caribbean species are not numerous, there are some deeper LPS that are stunning colors. I hope to return and see someday. The Tropical Pacific is amazing from what you see on some reefs, I would love to do a bucket list trip to a remote atoll around New Caledonia some day.

I’m no diver, but I understand that the fluorescence comes at much deeper depth where only blue spectrum reaches. So Why would it not be considered mimicking natural light?

The blue you see people producing to get corals to fluoresce does not happen in nature at any depth that a photosynthetic animal would live at, thus the calls of BS. Growth in the aquarium happens at a much more balanced color temperature that produces optimal PAR. This range does not look so blue. So, you cannot use these settings on a fixture to achieve growth. They are just for “groovy” viewing...;)

There are at least one unnatural things to get those “BS photo”:
Orange filter.

I definitely agree with you all, it’s annoying to buy a coral that pops in a sellers tank and you take it home and it looks way less bright or colorful.

However I can’t deny that I’m amazed at how a natural living being can glow the way they do under certain lighting. Because of that I def enjoy my tank with only blues on while wearing orange glasses (game changer: try wearing 2 sets of orange glasses over each other).

As far as diving, you can def see luminescence at shallower depths on a clear sky night with a bright moon. I’d assume that’s how the glowing of corals and certain fish was discovered to begin with. But to your point, it’s much more common to see “boring” colors of corals while diving. To make colors pop even in day dives, I bring a Light & Motion Sola Nightsea (Jason Fox was telling me he also uses these lights to find “his” corals in the wild).

I definitely agree with you all, it’s annoying to buy a coral that pops in a sellers tank and you take it home and it looks way less bright or colorful.

However I can’t deny that I’m amazed at how a natural living being can glow the way they do under certain lighting. Because of that I def enjoy my tank with only blues on while wearing orange glasses (game changer: try wearing 2 sets of orange glasses over each other).

As far as diving, you can def see luminescence at shallower depths on a clear sky night with a bright moon. I’d assume that’s how the glowing of corals and certain fish was discovered to begin with. But to your point, it’s much more common to see “boring” colors of corals while diving. To make colors pop even in day dives, I bring a Light & Motion Sola Nightsea (Jason Fox was telling me he also uses these lights to find “his” corals in the wild).

I agree, if you want to see cool colored coral on a dive, do a night dive. You will never see anything like the "custom corals" selected to look great under blue lights.

There are plenty of very colorful things to see on a natural reef with sunlight. Admittedly the predominant color is brown because that's the color of the zooxanthellae (symbiotic algae in the coral). Some of the most beautiful corals (in my opinion) are the non-photosynthetic corals (particular Dendronephthya or carnation coral), unfortunately some of these are very difficult to keep in a reef aquarium.

Back