Iodide and Calcium

r2dtwo

Non-member
I recently have bought these from skipton because my population of corals has grown. I want to make sure I used these right. the corals right now is in a 120gal tank. can someone advice me how should i use and how often. Thanks.

Are you testing your calcium level?
Do you know your Alk level? If so what is it?
What kind of corals?

I'll have to check with my friend, it is his tank i am referring to. I am housing my corals as well with his, until my tank cycle has finished. His Alk, Ph, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia are normal. I dont think he has Iodide and Calcium test kit yet so that's why we were asking how to use it correctly, since we dont have a Iodide test kit. So far the corals in the tank consist of Zoa, Palys, Frog Spawn, Kenya Tree, Neon Leather, toad stool.

from what he told me, told stool seemed to be bleeching? bad thing? just added it recently.

Toadstools really don't "bleach". Bottom line is that you don't ever supplement anything unless you are testing for it. You need to find out what your current Ca is, then dose slowly until you see it going up. Once you reach optimal levels then you need to figure out what you need to dose for it to keep steady at that level. Every tank is different so nobody can tell you exactly what to dose.

"most likely calc isnt causing your toldstool problems, maybe salinity fluctuations?"

probably. he does try to keep his salinity at .023 at all times. I'll have to come by his place today and check it out.

"Toadstools really don't "bleach". Bottom line is that you don't ever supplement anything unless you are testing for it. You need to find out what your current Ca is, then dose slowly until you see it going up. Once you reach optimal levels then you need to figure out what you need to dose for it to keep steady at that level. Every tank is different so nobody can tell you exactly what to dose."

You'r right. We kinda of just followed the directions for Iodide. a cup full fills 50g tank. As for the Ca we have not used it yet, since we didn't want to make things worst.

Does Iodide best used or combine with Carbonate?

"Here are some articles to help you understand the questions you're asking and why no one can just say "add 4 oz and you'll be set".

Cool.. Thanks very much.

The Toad Stool seems to be fine, I think it was just getting used to the new environment like everyone has said. It looks good, as I believe it is shedding skin as well. i think it is having a hard time finding a good position to sleep, since IMO it changes the way it looks once night time, is that normal?

Most corals look very different with the lights off. It is a normal proccess. With no light for photosynthesis they contract as they don't need the surface area, and sort of shift gears as they turn towards feeding on plankton and other meaty bits in the water by extending special polyps and tentacles.
As for the supplements I wouldnt advise adding any without a test kit. Besides all your corals except the frogspawn do not need calcium and the benefits of iodine are debatable while too much iodine can certainly be harmful.

Back