Is it OK to turn off main pump 3 hours per day?

MURedhawk

Reef Rookie Forever
I have 65g with 20g sump, 2 Eco tech mp10s and about 65-70 lbs live rock with skimmer and filter bag. Sometimes watching TV it is still a bit loud (water noise coming into sump) with standard over flow from Marineland into ADHI refugium 20. I am a bit afraid to try the Herbie overflow design so would it be ok to put our system on a timer to shut down main pump between about 7p-10p to watch TV? The ecotechs would still be running. (I know, I know too much TV each evening, but watching less TV won't be a good answer). :)

Thank you.

Nope...imo You have two options 1 Buy a huge surround sound system or 2 re do pluming and slow down the turn over rate....

Sounds like you would have a deccent amount of flow in the tank. I'd say put your skimmer on the same timer (so it doesn't overflow when the water level in the sump rises) and it would be worth a try.

Main thing I would be concerned about would be the temp if the heater isn't in the display, then again our heaters don't usually run much in the summer...

What are you afraid of using a herbie drain?

Sounds like you would have a deccent amount of flow in the tank. I'd say put your skimmer on the same timer (so it doesn't overflow when the water level in the sump rises) and it would be worth a try.

Main thing I would be concerned about would be the temp if the heater isn't in the display, then again our heaters don't usually run much in the summer...

What are you afraid of using a herbie drain?

I'm afraid of irreversibly ruining my factory stocked Marine land overflow and causing a flood. Also, I have no idea how to make the new return I have to build look professional. I asked 2 plumbers and they did not have good answers or feel comfortable doing it. I have really basic plumbing skills. I have a 200w Cobalt Neotherm in the display and a 100w backup in the sump so heating is no big deal. Only issue is filtration thru refugium with macro algae and skimmer.

Slow down the flow and the noise goes away. Water will move up and down at a slower rate, and it won't make a difference, except for noise.

The herbie drain is dead silent if you do it right. I actually dial mine in so that the overflow isn't all the way to the top so that I can hear the water..... If I go dead silent it scares me!

You're asking for a disaster if you want to play around with your return pump. Time will tell, but you WILL forget to turn it back on one night and wake up the next day panicking.
Do your best to remedy the overflow noise. Install a valve in your return line and adjust the flow rate. It will calm it down a bit.

^ good point. Even on a timer, pumps that are left running are usually quite reliable, but many do freeze up (meaning you need a good cleaning) on restarts.

As far as the herbie design, you don't need to modify the overflow at all, you just need to rig up an over the top return which isn't hard to do. Reliability wise, Herbie drains are safer than durosos assuming you run the herbie correctly and keep up with the occasional adjustments needed.

I agree with Nick. It's just a recipe for disaster that's waiting to happen. Your best option is to find a solution for your plumbing. What size return pump are you using?

Any recommendations on who could install Herbie design in RI area? Or are there good solid plans that I can use to build it? Would a plumber do this?

Mag 7, IME mag pumps are the worst about not restarting. Definately don't put that on a timer.

Agreed, try slowing the flow a bit first, no harm in doing that.

IF you did want to set it up as a herbie you definately don't need a plumber and if you called one they wouldn't know what you were asking for. Herbie drains are simple, one drain (the smaller of the two if they are not the same size) goes straight into the sump and has a gate valve near the sump to adjust the flow. The second drain has a straight standpipe in the overflow that's just a hair lower than the overflow teeth, and a below the tank is a straight pipe into the sump. That's it. You start the return running, then slowly close the gate valve until the overflow is mostly full but not spilling over into the back up drain. If anything slows the drain with the valve, you have a second, back up drain that can handle all the flow.

Where are you located? I'm in Franklin, MA near Woonsocket, RI. I use Herbie overflow. You are welcome to come over and check it out. It is dead silent. You will be complaining about your mp10s being too loud afterwards.

I really Hope Dc return pumps Will be around for next upgrade not have to valve and just turn down power ,,,,

Where are you located? I'm in Franklin, MA near Woonsocket, RI. I use Herbie overflow. You are welcome to come over and check it out. It is dead silent. You will be complaining about your mp10s being too loud afterwards.

Do you have pictures or a plan how to do this? I have seen pictures on the web but no good plans with the Marineland/Perfecto Corner overflow. I appreciate the offer to see the system. Thank you. You are about an hour from me as I live in southern RI so that is a bit far. Should I just try to set it up? I guess the worst I could do is ruin the factory stocked pipes and have to reorder them again.

Actually the worst you could do screwing with your plumbing is crack your tank! So be careful when working on it as to not put any stress on any pipes

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Back