Is there a diff between any old Desjardin & red sea sailfin Tang?

Desjardin's Tang and Red Sea Sailfin (Zebrasoma desjardinii) are one in the same. However, the cheaper and more readily available Pacific Sailfin (Zebrasoma veliferum) is a little different. It is often difficult to tell the difference between these two when they are young. As adults, however, the Pacific Sailfin Tang retains its attractive juvenile appearance although becoming less yellow, while the Desjardin's Sailfin Tang will change stripes for spots and lightens in color.

Desjardin's Tang and Red Sea Sailfin (Zebrasoma desjardinii) are one in the same. However, the cheaper and more readily available Pacific Sailfin (Zebrasoma veliferum) is a little different. It is often difficult to tell the difference between these two when they are young. As adults, however, the Pacific Sailfin Tang retains its attractive juvenile appearance although becoming less yellow, while the Desjardin's Sailfin Tang will change stripes for spots and lightens in color.

i think you've got the two of them switched? Desjardini's are the ones that are more vibrant and colorful as adults aren't they?

i think you've got the two of them switched? Desjardini's are the ones that are more vibrant and colorful as adults aren't they?
Nope, adult Desjardin's definitely lighten up in color as they grow older.

Young Desjardini:
DesjardinsSailfinTangWMTa_Ap8ST.jpg

Adult Desjardini:
desjardinni_s.jpg

guess you're right... don't think i've ever seen an adult.. so juvys are better looking as red sea ones, but typical pacific sailfins look better as adults...

also if i recall correctly, pacific ones grow a good deal larger than desjardin's.

Back