It all started from Hanauma Bay...

Tifmith

Non-member
Greetings!

My name is Tiffany and I just got into the hobby primarily because of my fiancee's encouragement. I fell in love with the reef instantaneously from my first experience snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. I've always wanted to set a tank but was hesitant by the prospect of the amount of work it takes to maintain it.

But that was all history. I am currently a proud owner of a 54 gallon tank that houses about 70lbs of live fiji rocks, 36lbs of live sand, 2 true percula clown fishes and 2 blue damsels. I look forward to adding more livestock, especially the blue hippo tang, whom I've fallen in love with since "Finding Nemo".

Things have been going extremely well until I couldn't find one of my clown fish this morning. I searched and searched everywhere! Finally I realized why the other clown fish kept swimming around the protein skimmer. Her mate got sucked into the protein skimmer...

This has definitely dampened my excitement and crushed my feelings as much as it probably has with my remaining clown fish. I know fishes die often and it's pretty normal but I couldn't help but feel attached to it. I'm trying to not get too work up. My precious clown fish still needs me and my tank still needs a lot of work.

I do want to get some corals but I'm working under a budget so I don't want to get way too overboard with it. I'm unfamiliar with what equipment to get to ensure a quality of life for my fishes. So far I only have a really old filter (previously used for freshwater), protein skimmer, and a thermometer. I definitely want to upgrade to a canister filter. Does anyone have recommendations?

I welcome any feedback or comments to help me make my 54 gallon friendly for my fishes.

Welcome to the BRS! Pics of the setup would be good also try to avoid the canister filter they tend to be nitrate factories. Sorry for the loss of your fish don't let it discourage you.

54 Gallon Tank

photo (4).JPG

It looks boring so far. But my chief concern is to ensure the water quality for my fishes' well being. I don't want anymore accidents.

There's not much setup besides the filter and skimmer along with the thermometer hanging in the back of the tank.

Last edited:
:w Tiffany!

Sorry for your loss. We do have members here who breed clownfish. Keep an eye out on the FS forums if your looking for another.

A small blue hippo would be fine for your tank now. Unfortunately, they do grow pretty fast and will eventually outgrow your tank. Not to discourage you in anyway...just wanted to let you know.

Just remember to take things slow if you're looking to add corals down the road.

Thank you for the warm welcomes! I've been reading the forum posts religiously hoping to gain access on some useful tips. I did go out and get another clown because my current one have become so stressed since the lost of her mate. She means the world to me- literally because she is my first salt water fish. I'm almost positive that it's a "she" since she's about 2.5 inches. If she hasn't developed into a female yet, I'm sure she will very soon!

I've also purchased an anemone today. What do you feed these guys? I hope they're not more maintenance than my clown fish!

I'm not sure the exact name but the description on the receipt says anemone-condylactis. It's beige and has a purple tip. My tank has been running for more than 2 weeks. My water was tested and approved by Lovely Pets ^_^

Imo it is to soon to put an anemone in a tank that young. Keep an eye on it if its mouth gets real big or if it turns white that means its not happy. You can feed it mysi shrimp, brine shrimp depending on its size you can feed it silver sides. My sebae anemone was 24" around and ate a whole silver side twice a week.

first off welcome to BRS...... i did notice you have no powerheads circulating the water columns and the light you are using might not be capable of keeping many of the corals out there.....i would start of by doing those 2 things......

first off welcome to BRS...... i did notice you have no powerheads circulating the water columns and the light you are using might not be capable of keeping many of the corals out there.....i would start of by doing those 2 things......

Any recommendations for powerheads and lights?

nice start to a tank. Good luck with everything. I am sure you will find this website is better then any LFS for information. Reading up on your post it says 70lbs of live rock which is good for a 54 gallon but to me it doesn't look like 70 lbs...did you buy it from a certain store telling you that was 70lbs?

If you don't have some sort of pre filter on your skimmer you should get one, it will help keep your fish alive longer. I recommend you get a book or do some investigating before you go any further. A little knowledge of tank chemistry can help you decide for yourself which equipment is needed. The filter you are using, the one you say is old, you probably don't even need. With more power heads you can increase flow moving any sort if decaying debris into the water table and thus becoming your biological filter. Also your nitrates should be zero. Probably because you need more water flow, good flow IMO is the key to good reef keeping. Thant and Alk.

nice start to a tank. Good luck with everything. I am sure you will find this website is better then any LFS for information. Reading up on your post it says 70lbs of live rock which is good for a 54 gallon but to me it doesn't look like 70 lbs...did you buy it from a certain store telling you that was 70lbs?

One of the rocks that is hidden all the way in the back is about 20lbs and some of them is 10lbs each. I'm pretty sure it's about 70lbs, or at least somewhere around there ^_^

Also I can see through the tank. If you get a back ground it will help keep a little bit of ambient light from escaping the tank. It will help what ever corals you will get. It like a reflector next to you bulb. See how the wall is lit up, thats good light escaping!

Welcome to the hobby!!!. My advice to you is simple. Be patient and research everthing before trying it. There is so much to learn in this hobby it will make you dizzy..lol but it is worth it. for what it is worth I would say hold off on the purchases for a few more weeks till your tank does its thing.. There are a lot of great people here that would be more than happy answer all of your questions. Good Luck .........

Back