It all started from Hanauma Bay...

DSCN0663.JPG

This looks awfully familiar ^_*

If you don't have some sort of pre filter on your skimmer you should get one, it will help keep your fish alive longer. I recommend you get a book or do some investigating before you go any further. A little knowledge of tank chemistry can help you decide for yourself which equipment is needed. The filter you are using, the one you say is old, you probably don't even need. With more power heads you can increase flow moving any sort if decaying debris into the water table and thus becoming your biological filter. Also your nitrates should be zero. Probably because you need more water flow, good flow IMO is the key to good reef keeping. Thant and Alk.

What's a pre filter? If I have the powerheads, then would I still need a regular filter? I've already got a red sea protein skimmer. Everything seems to be working out well right now BUT my filter is so loud. It's probably because of it's age.

I got a sudden spike in my nitrate level to 20ppm. Must it be that I have been overfeeding my fishes with mysis shrimp? I'm super worried. I did a 25% water changed already. I own a 54 gallon tank. I have approximately over 70lbs of live rocks. HELP!

Back