Staff member
BRS Member
The next BRS meeting is Saturday, Jan. 26th at the Framingham Elks Lodge:

Framingham Lodge of Elks
450 Union Ave
Framingham, MA 01702

(508) 875-9262

Time: 11 AM - 3 PM

Our own Matt Litman will be giving the presentation at the next BRS meeting. Matt's Bio is below.

The title of Matt's presentation is:

'Hydraulics for your reef tank' - or 'What You Always Wanted to Know About Plumbing Your Reef Tank, but Were Afraid to Ask.'

Matt's talk will explain to you the importance of proper sizing of plumbing tubing and fittings. He will explain how differences in elevation affect pumping efficiency, and how to find the appropriate pump for the task. He will also go over the pros and cons of closed loops and other water moving devices. Using the simple concepts (and more complicated equations if you choose) he will present you should be able to make more intelligence choices about how you set up (or modify your existing) your tank's plumbing, which should inevitibly make your tank more energy efficient.

We will also be continuing our monthly novice reefkeepers lecture series (given by Greg H.), this month's topic is 'Calcium and Alkalinity Maintenance - Part II - More on Two Part Solutions and How to Setup and Operate a Calcium Reactor'

Tentative schedule for the meeting (this schedule may change, check back to this thread for updates as we get closer to the day of the meeting):

11:00 - 12:30 Noon - Meet and greet

Presentation set up time - new members registration - folks milling about chatting about their tanks - chance to meet and chat with the guest speaker - time to purchase BRS coffee mugs, hats, polo shirts - library book signout and return - turn samples in for water testing - chance to pick up 2008 BRS calenders, etc. More about these club benefits can be read here:

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49878

11:30 PM - 12:00 Noon - Novice Reefkeepers lecture and question and answer session - topic listed above

12:00 Noon - 12:30 PM - Announcements - raffle items descriptions - introductions of new members, etc.

12:30 PM - 1:30 - Guest Speaker - Matt Litman -

1:30 PM - Pizza arrives

2:00 PM - Raffle Drawing

1:30 - 3:30 PM - Frag swap mayhem and general member to member reef chat. Clean up

Reminder: we try our best to keep the meeting on time, but there are a lot of things that are out of our control, so the times are subject to change, do not take these times as gospel please. Check back to this thread for updates as we get closer to the day of the meeting.

So, again the details:

Where: Framingham Lodge of Elks
450 Union Ave
Framingham, MA

When: Saturday, Jan 26th, 2008
Time: 11 AM - 3 PM

Matt's Bio:

Matt has a Bachelors and Masters degree in environmental engineering. He worked for Malcolm Pirnie, Inc. Consultants in New York for three years before moving to Boston in 2002. During that time, he did extensive work in fluid mechanics and hydraulic design. Matt moved to Boston to work on a doctoral degree in environmental microbiology. He graduated in 2006, and after a one-year post-doc, returned to the consulting profession. While his specialty is in nitrification, he still retains the hydraulic knowledge from before graduate school. Matt has been a member of the BRS since fall of 2002. Matt has been keeping saltwater fish since early 2001. His first tank was a 20L, followed by a 55, followed by a 90, and now a 125. A trend is apparent! :D Matt is happy with his 125, but has suffered setbacks from moving and process changes. Matt currently is trying to see how bad his hair algae problem can get from not having a cleanup crew. :eek:

Last edited:
I was wondering where the meeting was, searched for '2008' and found that this was posted yesterday. Somehow I missed it, which I find incredible given the number of times a day I look. So what the heck, giving it a bump.

Looking forward to Matt's presentation.
Plumbing's my second favorite part of this hobby, close behind staring at the tank.

Will there be a sponsor at the meeting?

No, there will not be any sponsors at this meeting.

I realize that a sponsor and his wares are a good draw for many of the members to attend these meetings, and this is also recognized by the BoD in general. We have been working on a new plan to increase sponsor attendance at the meetings as well as ways to fill the void when none are interested in packing the store "to go" so to speak. Stay tuned as the new format for meeting sponsorship will be announced following shortly after this meeting.

Is there ever a video recording of any of the meetings? I always try to make them but my work usually keeps me away. It never fails that the meetings which have topics I am really interested in and want to sit in on are on the days I am my busiest. :( Too bad as I am extremely interested in the Calcium and Alkalinity Maintenance and How to Setup and Operate a Calcium Reactor.

Is there ever a video recording of any of the meetings? I always try to make them but my work usually keeps me away. It never fails that the meetings which have topics I am really interested in and want to sit in on are on the days I am my busiest. :( Too bad as I am extremely interested in the Calcium and Alkalinity Maintenance and How to Setup and Operate a Calcium Reactor.

We are working on getting this going.

I shall be attending this meeting tomorrow, as long as I can get up in the morning :eek:

We are working on getting this going.
This seems like it's going to be a very useful meeting. If there is no other plans, I could easily bring my DV camera and tripod and then after I could burn a few copies to DVD and mail them to somebody for inclusion in the library or something.

>This seems like it's going to be a very useful meeting. If there is no other plans, I could easily bring my DV camera and tripod and then after I could burn a few copies to DVD and mail them to somebody for inclusion in the library or something.>

Please do so. I believe we have had some members mention that they may be willing to help on this, but I don't think that any are scheduled to do so for tomorrow's meeting. If you make the DVD's they can be mailed to the librarian. Just PM me or BrianMac for the address.

I would be more than willing to pay a few bucks as a donation to the club for a copy. :D
This seems like it's going to be a very useful meeting. If there is no other plans, I could easily bring my DV camera and tripod and then after I could burn a few copies to DVD and mail them to somebody for inclusion in the library or something.

>This seems like it's going to be a very useful meeting. If there is no other plans, I could easily bring my DV camera and tripod and then after I could burn a few copies to DVD and mail them to somebody for inclusion in the library or something.>

Please do so. I believe we have had some members mention that they may be willing to help on this, but I don't think that any are scheduled to do so for tomorrow's meeting. If you make the DVD's they can be mailed to the librarian. Just PM me or BrianMac for the address.
Cool ok. I'll plan to bring the camera and we can figure out the best place to set it up. Hmm.. hopefully the sound will be ok.

Questions about the water testing:
Can you test fw as well as sw?
How much water do you need to test it?
How much does it cost?

Thanks

Back