~Sara~
in goes the sand...

Attachments

• IMG_9308c (Small).jpg
    IMG_9308c (Small).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 339
"trashy tank"

(note the trash bag...)
haha! not at all actually!! it's pretty sweet!

Attachments

• IMG_9332 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9332 (Small).JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 327
be sure to post pictures of it when it clears and you start adding!

Attachments

• IMG_9347 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9347 (Small).JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 322
grendel said:
Ok, what's the trash bag for? Keep the sand down while you add water?

yup it is to keep the sand down....joe's idea...
works very well actually :)

and when it was done filling you just took the rocks out and the tiny bubbles lifted it right to the top to get it out :) very cool

Thank you so much guys. The water is still sludgy but we can see the rocks Mauro is already planning the mod for the overflows to make them quieter.

wow...that trashbag idea really works well! i could not see a finger touching the front glass for days after I filled my tank lol!

You may have had this discussion here before...but...

Does anyone here do a reef sand fill this way...?

-Build reef directly on bottom of tank, making sure all rocks are secure and locked in place by gravity or wire tie...

-place sand bed in and around base rocks of above reef...

-fill with pre-mixed salt water...

Over the years, this is the order I have experienced with all small and large setups...the main reason for this order is to prevent the reef from being undermined by diggers, sifters, etc...

...if the base rocks are sitting on the sand the sand can be moved by critters, currents, etc....and you could have a rock slide on your hands...which could break or kill established coral colonies...or worse, break your glass tank...or scratch your acrylic display windows...

...anyone else use the above order of startup?

also...one way to prevent the sand from being blown around during water fill is to fill the tank by sending the water down the rocks with sometimes more than one hose to reduce the water pressure...also I have placed a shallow plastic pan on the bottom and placed end of hose in that and this takes the initial blast of water from hose and disperses it more evenly....

ive always added rock afterwards, like the above pictures. they seem to sink down into the sand with the weight.

Back