Just not excited..thoughts on next evolution of tank

cilyjr

Chris
I have a 180 tank built into the wall in a basement living room and I am simply not enthusiastic about keeping it running. It's not doing well because of it. I have no algae but I am not keeping alk stable and a few big swings have caused stn events on some quite LG colonies of coral all are small polyped stonies. Not to mention I changed circulation pumps and they stirred up an old sand bed that helped me show nitrates for the first time in the 5 years the tank has been running. All this is effect from a lack of interest in maintaining properly. It would also be prudent to mention that my tank is highly automated. Even feeding and water changes are done automatically. Sometimes I wonder if the high lvl of automation has created my lack of interest.

So now I'm left with deciding what to do with it. I know I want to keep the tank running in some manner but I'm struggling with the next evolution. A large mixed reef simply isn't interesting to me anymore. So I'm Turing this to you for some inspiration.

Where would you go if you had the chance to start over? I've had some ideas but I'd like to hear a few before I toss those out. Below is a pic of the finished area to get an idea of the space. I would like to note that I am not changing the area pictured and I'm not changing the tank.
Thanks for your thoughts

Sorry to hear this Chris. You have a beautiful set up, but I understand. Maybe just do a fowlr.

Fish only is the worst case scenario.

What would you suggest jim?

If I do continue keeping coral I'm considering going back to Mh lighting...

NPS coral? They are some of the most intensely colored coral available. Also will keep you busy.

That's interesting. I am finding that automating my 38g dosing and auto top-off has made me likelier to neglect/ignore it. Why is this?

I also have no more room to add anything new and there are no "problems" to figure out right now. So, while I enjoy looking at it, there is a certain something missing from the experience right now. The planning? The shopping? The problem solving? I don't know. I find myself wondering about getting a bigger tank, but I suspect that once it is about three years old, I will find myself in the same position but with less money.

You can trade in your existing coral fr something new.

Go FOWLR. Fish are easier to keep than corals. That's my plan when I get a big tank in the basement.

Fish, at least to me, is harder than corals. Much harder to be honest. For corals, I can control the water quality and once the water and lighting is in good shape, they will grow and grow. Fish, on the other hand, I have issue with introducing diseases(even after QT), fish not eating(the most stressful and depressing of all), and fish fighting with existing fish or vice versa. Truth be told, I killed more fish than SPS in my lifetime.

NPS coral? They are some of the most intensely colored coral available. Also will keep you busy.

At this tank size, you'll be very busy and it will be costly. You save on electricity on lighting but the chiller you need to run to keep the tank cool will be running 24/7.

Anemones and a school of clowns have always been in my mind. And when the clowns lay eggs, it'll be even more exciting breeding and raising them.

These are ideas I've thought but the non photo tank I 86ed because of the massive skimmer I'd have to buy.
The new and Zoa idea is something that I've been thinking on and appeals to me the most. But what would be involved? I've never got zoos th thrive but I've assumed it was chemical warfare from competing organisms keeping them down.

Why not meet up with some local reefers and see if you can feed off their energy?? At the very least it would give you a chance to talk through this lack of excitement for reefing with other like minded people

If you stop to think about it, why do you have a hobby in the first place? It's for something to do in your spare time. Something you really enjoy. If you've automated to the point of not having anything to do, you've eliminated the reason you have the tank in the first place. Automation should only be used to help reduce the chores you don't like doing. Or to help you when you don't have the enough time. I spend many hours a week tinkering with my tank and system. I don't think I would know what to do with myself if it wasn't there. Also I think searching for ways to automate was big part of the fun for you and now that you've succeeded you need a new challenge. Boredom can strike anyone in the hobby and it can drive people right out of it. I find the degree of boredom is directly related to the degree of dissatisfaction with the appearance of your tank. The worse it looks, the more bored you get.
I think you should do a minimalist aquascape high end sps tank. You know the kind where the rock is floating above the sand and the fish can swim underneath.That's a big enough challenge for anyone, and looking at your setup would look beautiful. Plus you can sell the awesome frags your going to have to the rest of us :)

Or you could jut s go to Pauls/reefkeeper2 house and sit in front of his tank, that might spark some excitement. It's like a reefers therapeutic unit

I feel you and I am kind of in the exact same spot. It looks like for me the fun was in the build and subsequent expansion. Now complete, watching coral grow and keeping alk stable is a bit of a bore.

for me I see new things pop up make my fish do things ( train them ) I find water to be an amazing substance and the life that can flourish in it is just awesome . keeping a reef tank is an amazing feat by any standard . you control the world they live in

Yeah paul, I don't think I wanna chase the high stuff anymore. Ya spend a lot on a small piece then by the time it's grown there are 10000 pieces all over and it's not high end anymore.

Zoas and nems coexist with out much trouble. I would keep my LG LPS pieces as well. I really am leaning towards this. The Coldwater pacific nem tanks are amazing. I won't do that however. Getting livestock would be dificult. And the work to be done to keep the glass from constantly sweating is a PITA.

It seems you have some ideas of what you want to do. Take your time with the decision. Sometimes you just need to step away from a decision for a while in order to make it. Like clearing your palate after too much of the same food.

Back