Liebert UPS Pooled Order - ACT NOW

Shallowwaters

Non-member
Hi Folks,
I found a good deal on a 1000w Liebert UPS unit and here is the link.
http://www.upsforless.com/product36.html
It's $249 through the end of this week. It was $350 last week. :)

There is also a 1500w Liebert available that delivers a little more than 2x the power life. And it is $449 - they offered me $399.

UPSFORLESS is offering BRS up to 7% additional discount and grouped shipping which will save quite a lot. One UPS unit shipped is $45.

These are reconditioned units with a 1 year warranty. Lieberts deliver a true sinewave so your pumps will like you. Replacement batteries alone for the GTX 1500 cost $138, so at $249, you can't go wrong. You can't reliably hook up car batteries for less than that. Also these are online units so your pumps may even like being on the UPS all the time with such good regulated power.

The GTX 1500 will run 53 watts of powerheads 3 hours and the GTX 2000 will run 53 watts of powerheads 8 hours.

Post any interest you have. My order is already in and I will hold for a couple days if there is interest to add to the order. :cool:

Oh, also, our order would be delivered to my house in a single shipment.

Hmmm I need a ups for my tank and a new one for one of our computers. I'll ask Eliot, he's the ups expert. He seems to like apc though

The Electrical Engineers among us, I am not one, would say that you should consider a true sinewave UPS. Most UPS are designed to power digital equipment and not mechnical things - like pumps. Without this type of electrical current (modulation?), your pumps could run rough and prematurely fail. Mostly Liebert and Tripp-Lite provide them. They are the high-end products. APC does not provide them. Liebert is known for industrial quality and makes units for large datacenters.

There are also considerations for true on-line and off-line units. Lieberts are on-line or in-line units and in my opinion that's good.

Hi... We'll think about it, and get back tonight. I'm leaning towards the larger one for $400.

Eliot (for Flighty)

It would be perfect for you Tunzes. If you give me the wattage of your circulation pumps, I can get an estimate on power times.

For power outages that we are really woried about (like if we are out of town for the day) I think we would just have one tunze plugged in to the ups and have it at the right depth to suck a bit of air when the water level drops.

How long would one 6000 run at %100.
Pump wattage: max. 15W
Voltage / Frequency: 230V (115V) / 50-60 Hz

More than 24hours, right? that would be a nice backup. We could probably turn it down for longer running too.

The charts the company has start at 50w. (made a mistake earlier when I said 53w) They said you can guestimate with straight math. So 15w would seem to go a long way toward 24 hours (3 x 15). If they work like batteries in most appliances, you will never really know for sure without testing.

Maybe one of our engineers in the club could help us?

By the way, devices on UPS's have to run all the time. It won't turn on a device when there is a failure unless you modify the setup with some kind of extra switch that senses a power loss. There is something on RC about it.

Matt L. said:
You know, I might be interested in this. So 50W can go 8 hours???

Matt:cool:

That's what I am told for the larger unit at $399 vs. over $1000 for a new Liebert unit.

Last edited:
Any storms coming?

Hi Folks,
How are we doing on this? Thunderstorms keep rolling through. :p

I'm still convinced this is a good deal. A lot of people have built their own inveter-based backups with marine batteries. IMO, this looks attractive because cheap UPS units don't give much power. These Lieberts have a lot for the money including a true sinewave, long life batteries because of a smart charger, now wiring, no lead vapor issues, etc.

And I found out a few more things. 1) you can link additional chassis to the Lieberts if you want to add capacity in the future. This could mean you get 24 hrs or more for a powerhead.

2) the batteries are almost identical to deep cell marine batteries (but they are sealed) which means these units are basically smart inverters neatly coupled to batteries, and

3) if we buy $1500, we get FREE shipping.

My one unit is costing $45 for shipping.

Eliot and I can't decide. For once I am on the side of too expensive for a tank related item and he wants to get it. I think it is a good deal for the ups, I just think that it is a lot of money to spend on any ups.

When were you going to order them?

I can't decide either -- I think I would go for the less expensive unit (1000W), if I go for anything at all.

I don't want to jinx myself, but this is a cost/risk decision. Living so close to Boston, in Somerville, I feel relatively safe (based on previous years' experinece) that lengthy power outages (more than the automatic, battery operated bubbler could handle) seem to occur with great rarity. If I lived in the middle of nowhere, I would have a different opinion.

I'm just not sure...

Matt:cool:

My order is already in for the smaller unit and I was going to upgrad to the $399. The sale prices end Friday, so that may be the deadline.

I hear you about the cost. It cost almost half as much as a Tunze system. I suppose you could look at that both ways.

Here's how I got to the idea, fwiw. Our outages are short, but any power loss drains the top 8 inches of my tank and my corals have grown into that space and will get exposed. (this problem is fixable, but it's a long story) I plan to put my main return on the this good UPS and just forget about short power outages. For longer, cataclysmic outages, I have another plan.

There are four of us thinking about buying four USP units and that would probably give us free shipping, but not a guarrantee.

Anyone running on batteries, think of the least amount of stuff you can run your tank with...I am lucky enough to have a 9000VA and a 4000VA Ups for my tanks.

Actually the 9000va runs my whole house!! Except the Central air...

Just to clarify, the APC Smart UPS and higher lines are true sine wave output. The lower end APC backup ups line is not.

Deafasa said:
Just to clarify, the APC Smart UPS and higher lines are true sine wave output. The lower end APC backup ups line is not.

Yep, you're right Deafasa. Do you own one and how has worked for you?

Here is a good thread from ReefCentral on the topic including comments from a Liebert expert.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=587671&highlight=liebert

For those of you I have talked to, I just realized when re-reading this thread that you may be able string marine batteries off of these Liebert units.

Last edited:
I will get a total for you and then send you my wife's paypal address. Then she will negotitate with me about giving me the money. LOL

I would like to confirm the order to UPSFORLESS by 1 p.m. today. Jump in if you want one. After searching almost to the end of the Internet, I'm convinced these are a good deal. The only way I found to go cheaper is with a less sturdy unit from a cheaper mfg (like Cyberpower), but then you are paying full retail for a new unit with less future flexibility - i.e. adding capacity. That said, if somebody following this thread thinks they know of a better UPS deal, please tell us. I am not interested in DIY for lots of reasons.

Cheers,
Mark

I do not own one for my tank. I have a number of them at work. I am thinking of grabbing one from work that is dead and just ordering a new battery for it. (Please don't ask how many dead one's I have around. I am not reselling any here.)

Jeff

Shallowwaters said:
Yep, you're right Deafasa. Do you own one and how has worked for you?

Here is a good thread from ReefCentral on the topic including comments from a Liebert expert.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=587671&highlight=liebert

For those of you I have talked to, I just realized when re-reading this thread that you may be able string marine batteries off of these Liebert units.

Another FYI. I don't know what the lifespan on the Liebert UPS is, but APC batteries tend to give between 3 to 5 years in a business environment. The hotter the environment the shorter the lifespan of the batteries.

Back