Liveaquaria fish

B.rian

i would rather be diving
so liveaquaria has this fish in the divers den. they are claiming it is one of twenty four left in the world. i am horrified that they would keep this fish instead of returning it to the ocean. i guess they are more concerned with their profits, than the goals of a responsible aquarist.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=21155&siteid=20

Drs. Foster & Smith's Diver's Den®

Cirrhilabrus marjorie

Click here for a larger image Cirrhilabrus marjorie
Male Fiji Deepwater Marjorie's Fairy wrasse. This fish is 1 of 24 in the world.
Size: 3"

14-Day Guarantee
This specimen is currently available. To order, click on the cart symbol below.

Please note: if you do not complete your order by checking out, someone else may order this specimen.

Add
Cirrhilabrus marjorie $799.99

Attachments

• 0523071-035.jpg
    0523071-035.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 418
That just seems idiodic to me. If it's really that rare, then there is no way it should be being imported and not protected.

Then again, how exactly do they know that there are 24 left in the world? Did they count? Maybe there are really 26? Maybe one got eaten last week and there are only 23 left?

I see this as a serious blow against liveaquaria's credibility in my book..

Im sure there isnt only 24 of these wrasse in the world. I think they wrote that to be able to jack the price up. They are expensive but if I recal, Dr. Tanaka (wrasse expert on RC) aquired a pair of these for like $500. Maybe on this side of the pond they are more expensive.

i wrote them an email, and i am awaiting a response. i can't wait to hear how they explain themselves.

Maybe it the 24th fish actually caught and acclimated for it's new environment.

If this is that rare of a fish. I doubt they would be able to import it.

Based on the info here,
I have to say that they are either;
unbeleivably irresponsible for stocking that fish in the first place,
or totally full of it about that fish.
or both.

I don't think I'll be taking them seriously from now on.

Based on the info here,
I have to say that they are either;
unbeleivably irresponsible for stocking that fish in the first place,
or totally full of it about that fish.
or both.

I don't think I'll be taking them seriously from now on.

I say both. Jack asses.

Typical corporate bull$4it.

I also wrote them - let's see if they correct the information on the wrasse or they take it down... should be very intresting.

Ok, now for fun - informal poll:

1.) They take the listing down
2.) They correct the information - it's a typo
3.) Corporate America and they do nothing

i say #1, and they will respond to us that emailed them that it was a typo. and still repost it again later minus the "1 of 24" comment. i know that they need their money, and they will not waste money returning it to the ocean. i will not buy from them again. marinedepot will now get all of my business.

I vote for #3, too.:(

Actually, I think they'll probably give the coypwriter a salary bump, due to the wonderful PR job, based on the number of emails received regarding this fish. Boss will pat the guy on the back, "Way to drive traffic to the site!!!"

I love the way corporate america thinks. :mad: Anything for a buck.

Aren't they finding new species of fairy wrasses on a fairly regular basis? Maybe they just meant it's the 20th one they know of to be imported. Banggai Cardinals have only been in the trade a short time and I'll bet the 20th one brought to the US got some big money too.

"This fish is 1 of 24 in the world"

No matter how you read it it still means that its the 1st of 24 out there...too me anyways. This is a newly discovered wrasse but im sure theres more than 24 in the world.

Aren't they finding new species of fairy wrasses on a fairly regular basis? Maybe they just meant it's the 20th one they know of to be imported. Banggai Cardinals have only been in the trade a short time and I'll bet the 20th one brought to the US got some big money too.

I agree... I would probably wait for an explanation before bagging a company. Who knows who types these things, maybe that person got fired, could have been a typo.. I would wait for an explanation then procede with negative reaction.

Back