Looking for help, any comments welcome

Grey-Skull

Non-member
Hi, I going back to keeping a salt water aquarium again after being away from it for a couple of years I have forgotten a lot of stuff and looking for help. So here goes
I have a 72gal bow front, 1 1/2 inches of crushed coral for a bed, 50kbs of live rock, I have a wet dry filter and a FX5 Fluval, a UV, a Protein Skimmer running also.

My salt is at 1.023
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
PH 8.3
Calcium 430
Magnesium 1350

The tank has been running now for a few weeks, I have no live stock in the tank except for the rock. Every day I check the parameters and nothing changes.
First question is: Did my tank cycle?
Second question: Think it safe to add fish now?

Thanks for you time:)

Sounds like your tank is through the initial cycle, and most likely will be OK for hardy fish. That said, keep in mind that when talking reef tanks, cycled and stable are two different things. In a year a tank starts to approach being stable :)

My only other thought is; I'd get rid of that crushed coral now. Course media like that will trap a ton of detritis and other crap, and contribute to poor water quality. I'd suggest sand or no substrate, but never crushed coral.

+1 on the crushed coral.if your tank is empty of life id take it out now before it becomes a problem

Back