Looking into getting large feather dusters... Good/bad idea

jmillz151

Non-member
Don't really know much about them but think I'd like some different colors... Anyone have a reason why not to get them? Do they split or spread. And where can I get large bright color ones like reds, blues, pinks etc...

What type of fish do you have? I know my tang has attacked every feather duster I have put in the tank. The tubes are very fragile.

My tang doesnt bother them. I have had 3 feather dusters for a year.

I thought about buying the big ones, they look nice. Lovely Pets has a few

I agree about the tangs! My powder blue and yellow tang have killed 5 large feather dusters. They pick at the tube until there is hole exposing the worm, or they pick the feathers on the crown off.

I agree about the tangs! My powder blue and yellow tang have killed 5 large feather dusters. They pick at the tube until there is hole exposing the worm, or they pick the feathers on the crown off.

Could it be that they have algae?
I bury the tubes in the sand, maybe that is why my tang didn't bother them.

Anyway...talking about feather dusters, one of mine disappeared for a while, I thought it died, and then, a few week later it came back out, but it was about half the size. In a few weeks it was back to normal size. It seems they do that every 6 months or so. Is that normal?
Does the worm get rid of the feathers and re-grows them?

Could be there is too much flow where you have it placed. My tube anemones and feathers do that if there in a high flow spot...

I have a Blonde Naso and a Yellow Belly Hippo tang and they don't seem to care much about my Coco Worm or the various small feather duster around the tank...

Higor

I didn't know you could bury the tube. Perhaps next time I will try that, but if it doesn't like the spot I pick, will it just drop it's crown?

Back