Moving on up from 8 gallons to 50 gallons New Build

smokey30

Non-member
Well finally got settled into the new house and have the room to start a new bigger build from my previous 8 gallon nano. I just started to gather the bits and pieces for the new tank it will be a 50 gallon Aqueon drilled with Glass-Holes 1500 gph overflow, with a 20 gallon long sump. Custom made oak stand with Ebony stain finish. Here is a list of the equipment I am going to be using:

Ehiem 1262 Return Pump
SWC Extreme 160 Skimmer
ATI 6x39 Sunpower
2 Jager 100w heaters
2 Vortech MP10's

65 Pounds Marco Key Largo
Tropic Eden Miniflakes substrate

I have majority of the items to begin to put this tank together, just waiting on the stand still. To hang the light I will be using extruded aluminum that will be mounted to the back of the stand and as for plumbing I will be using a mixture of flex pvc and standard pvc. I am hoping that the stand will arrive this week so I can being to plumb the week after easter.

Last edited:
Skimmer picts

Here are some shots of the SWC Extreme 160 Skimmer

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 540
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 529
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 541
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 531
Light picts

Here are some shots of the ATI 6x39 Sunpower. The bulbs that I will be starting off with are:
Front
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
Fiji Purple
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 538
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 538
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Tank and Sump

Here are some picts of the tank and overflow

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 539
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 527
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 537
New Sump

Well after much contemplation I decided to buy a sump instead of building one myself. So I decided to get a Trigger Systems Ruby Sump it has the setup I am looking for and has 2 inlets so I thought it would be a perfect fit and holds a little more water around 2 more gallons. And on top of all that its red, so it matches the skimmer.

http://www.triggersys.com/ruby_sumps.html

Attachments

• Ruby.jpg
    Ruby.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
very nice
i just installed the same skimmer on my system and have nothing but good things to say about it

very nice
i just installed the same skimmer on my system and have nothing but good things to say about it

Nice how have you been liking it? What is your water level for it I am thinking I am going to do it at 9 inches to begin with. I was lucky to grab one before they jacked the price up on them.

Tropic Eden Miniflakes Substrate

The sand came in today its Tropic Eden Miniflakes. I bought 90 pounds of it it comes in 30lb bags. Its a really nice looking substrate not too big not too small, I am hoping that I will have minimal sand storm.

Attachments

• teminiflake.jpg
    teminiflake.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 420
Very Nice, That sump was my first choice but didn't match the red pipe (Nice sump):D. Keep up the good work.

Media Reactor and other filteration

I ordered 2 Vertex UF-15 Universal Media Reactors, one will be for some sort of phosphate removal and the other eventually for NP bio-pellets. I liked these reactors for they are on sale and also is has a smaller footprint than most and it has a ball valve built in. These will sit side by side in the third chamber of my sump

Attachments

• VX-MR-UF15.jpg
    VX-MR-UF15.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Marco rocks key largo

I received my shipment of marco rocks today. I ordered a 50lb box and a 15lb box of nano size rocks. I wanted to have a bunch of pieces to work with so I got the extra box of nano sizes. This stuff is amazing so porous I cant wait to see it covered with coralline algae.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 395
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 397
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 401
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 385
Trigger Systems Ruby 30

I got delivered my new sump today. This is a beauty, very nicely constructed and lots of room for my equipment, I am glad I decided to buy it. Now only if my stand would come....

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 382
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 360
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 368
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 373
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 369
LOL...you are still waiting on the stand...:rolleyes:

Looking good though....

that's a sharp tank and overflow there ;)

that sump is hot!!! ::

Stand and light rack

Well the stand finally came and after adding some additional support I got the majority of it done along with mounting the extruded aluminum light rack to the stand and the light hung. Next steps is to get my plumbing on.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 323
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 306
Back