MrX's 120G Build

How do you like these lights?

Since you have had them, have you notice any corals (LPS and SPS) lose/change their colors?

The Pacific Sun Triton is a sweet light; lots of configuration options and from the looks of things the software is going to get much better very soon (with the next update).

Honestly, I haven't spent a lot of time tweaking or playing with the fixture. Right now I only have 12-15 small frags in the frag tank. I'm currently running the built-in "Bali Natural Sun" program that simulates the lighting in Bali. I haven't gone crazy doing manual configuration or custom PAR tables.

I can say that I've seen some of my zoos and palys that we're in the frag tank (or still are) showed great growth and color.

Archit, of Love the Reef fame, has done a write-up or two comparing this fixture to some other leds and provides good info.

If you're ever out my way and want to see it in person let me know.

Bought six Blue/Green Chromis from Petco (I know, I know) last night; MrsX has wanted some for a while so I grabbed them.

Got home, acclimated them, and into the QT they went. Unfortunately now we're down to four. One was a goner when I checked them this morning... looked like it got beat up. Later when I went to feed them again another was looking pretty poorly. I'd just checked the QT parameters the other day and everything was spot on, so I've no clue what happened.

Anyhow, I grabbed the five that were left and moved them up to the DT. The struggling one didn't last an hour. The surviving four seem to be enjoying their new home in the DT; eating well and swimming around. MrsX says 'at least these fish swim and do stuff and don't just hide.'

In other news, my Halloween Urchin is a stunt-urchin! :)

I watched it get launched off a powerhead earlier today and land right in the Rose anemone.

I was at my desk and looked over into the DT and saw the urchin on the front of the right-side powerhead, which was off, munching on coraline/algae. For a minute I wondered what would happen if the powerhead turned on; would the urchin be 'sticky' enough to hold on and just move away from the stream? I looked at the clock, it was just before 3pm, no problem I thought, my powerheads alternate every six hours (and thus, wouldn't turn on until 6pm).

A few minutes later I hear the left powerhead click and turn off. Oh yeah, I had changed to a 3-hour alternating cycle.

I look over just in time to see the urchin launched about a foot to a foot and a half across the tank and land smack-dab in the middle of my rose nem. It kinda rolled off and fell out of them nem, landing upside down between the new and a coral/rock. It seemed to sit there for a minute and then pulled itself right-side up and moved off. The clowns were looking at the urchin like 'WTF dude!?!?'

Neither seems any worse for the excitement.

Wish I'd had a camera running to capture it.

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate news, this system is awesome and I have been closely following along since day 1. My most recent tank was set up at almost the exact same time. Hopefully once the dust settles there will be a sequel to this system, it is beautiful. Very good example of what it takes to build and maintain a reef system in perfect detail, too bad it has to be cut short just as it was about to start filling in. Best of luck to you and your family, and hope to hear nothing but good news from this point!

Thanks Pat! Couldn't/wouldn't have done it without a lot of help and input from a bunch of great people here!

I told KidsX that when things get figured out we'll look into a new "bigger" build. I've learned a lot over the past 12 months that I could put to use on my next system. Would love to do some kind of 3-sided peninsula build or go 2-3 times bigger than what we have now.

Whatever I do I'd also want to try my hand at breeding Banggais or something.

Well, the sell-off is pretty much complete. I think the only thing I have left is two MJ600s and a couple random odds and ends. Took about three weeks, but the entire system is gone. *sigh*

Here's some pics I took as things were broken down and sold off.

finalpics1.jpg

finalpics2.jpg

finalpics3.jpg

finalpics4.jpg

finalpics5.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has helped me over the past year. KidsX and I learned a lot and had a good time doing it! That's the worst part of getting out... the kids are losing a great educational experience.

I'll still be sticking around to 'rock the boat'. How often remains to be seen and depends a lot on what happens with the job situation.

Happy Reefing!

I am salivating thinking about MrX's custom acrylic 300 gallon peninsula build thread!!! Please, Please, Please! :)

Back