MrX's 120G Build

Lol... I did rip it open today. There was nothing squishy in it, and I noticed the top/head part had a line all around it... When it was wet/soft I could imagine it opened like a kid.

Haven't seen any crabs so still don't know if they really molted or not. Fingers crossed.

My tank is on opposite wall 12' from my wood stove. Will let you know if radiative heat increases temperature tonite.

The "zipper" is the crabs sex organ. Narrow zippers are male and wide more curved or round zippers are female. When a crab molts you rarely see a full skeleton like that but you never know. Also, inverts hide for several days after a molt to allow their skeleton to harden because they are at greater risk for prey.

Update on woodstove....

Burned wood as slowly as i could. It raised main floor thermostat from 70 to 74. Thermostat is n different room. Tank temperature raised 0.2. In my case appears like only small impact. However my main floor is pretty open, for 900 square feet or so, with only stair case in the middle.. Not like your office

Display Tank as of 12/02/2012

DT12022012 1.jpg

DT12022012 2.jpg

DT12022012 3.jpg

DT12022012 4.jpg

DT12022012 5.jpg

Thanks! Can't wait to get to that point where it's more coral/etc. than visible rock. ;)

MrsX gave me the go ahead to get my own Christmas present... :)

So I went ahead and ordered the BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor – Dual with MJ1200 Pump, some Lignite Carbon (ROX is way expensive!) and some GFO.

Now I just have to figure out where to mount it near the sump. Up near my RODI might be too high/too far depending on how much tubing they include; not to mention the head for the Cobalt MJ 1200.

Any tips on running these reactors besides:
- GFO should just 'tumble'
- Rinse the carbon well to get the dust out

How often should I change the media out? Is it obvious by looking at the canisters?

From experience, the maxijet does not handle head pressure well. I actually took all the quick connects out and ditched the mj1200. I hard plumbed it from my return.

i have the same setup with the mj1200. the pump makes crazy noise. from what i read they are noisy if there is any resistance, like carbon. if your are setting this up in your basement im sure it will be fine. the directions say to keep it level with the sump water line

Thanks guys!

I just got the shipment notice, won't be here until the 21st. When it arrives I'll have to figure out a spot to hang it.

Worst case I could redo some of the plumbing off my return Y and figure out where/how to hang it then.

Got my Dual Reactor in today and just hooked it up. Took about 10-15 minutes to get it connected and in place. Tomorrow I'll figure out how much media to add and getting it running for real.

Here's some pics:

DualReactor1.jpg

DualReactor2.jpg

DualReactor3.jpg

Just read through this thread, and I'll say you have done some amazing work here! I am contemplating a 120g in the next few months.

Just read through this thread, and I'll say you have done some amazing work here! I am contemplating a 120g in the next few months.

Thanks mack! Appreciate the feedback.

If you ever have questions let me, or the other great peeps here on the board know. We'll get you sorted!

Back