MrX's 120G Build

I have a reeeflo barracuda and love it, if you throttle it back the wattage used cuts back too. It is much more flow than i need but I can add stuff in the future if i want to, like a frag tank or something.

Ok... so spent way too much money today:

1x Hydor Performer 705 Skimmer
2x Sicce Voyager HP4000
1x Reeflo Hammerhead Hybrid Pump
1x Extreme Typhoon III 150GPD RODI (couldn't win it, so I just bought it *sigh*)
1x GFCI 15-amp outlet (will wait for the brother-in-law/electriction to wire it; same time he does our generator and some outlets for all the sump stuff)

All I need now is (lmao/crying as I keep adding to this list):
- 2x 200W heaters (supposed to get from LFS Thursday)
- Magfloat cleaner (same LFS)
- Bucket of Instant Ocean to cycle with (same LFS)
- some more sand
- a test kit
- a refractometer
- some buckets for RODI/Mix
- a step ladder for maintenance

Forgot the most important thing.................30pk of beer :)

Congrats man, it will be beautiful.

Tonight I built a stand for the sump. I have two wood/metal folding tables but I want to be sure it doesn't go anywhere. This stand is 48x29(30!)x32. I used 4x4s for the legs, 2x4s for the top/bottom frames, and an additional 2x4 across the middle of the top frame for additional support. Top sheet is 3/4" cabinet grade. For my first DIY stand like this it's not half bad... just wish I new a 2x4 isn't really 2x4! That's what the 29(30!) is in the earlier dimensions. I had wanted it to be 48x30x32, but it ended up 48x29x32 with the top sheet being 48x30; I put the overhang of an inch on the backside, will probably just leave it there.

Taking a break and then I'm going to play with some rock-scaping on a towel again. :)

sumpstand1.jpg

sumpstand2.jpg

sumpstand3.jpg

sumpstand4.jpg

Started playing with the sump layout, siliconed in the bubble tower pieces, the rest is just taped until the skimmer comes in tomorrow. Wondering if I should wait to install the baffles until the tank is drilled for the pump???

Tank on its side to install the bubble tower. My daughter asked how I took the side off the tank. :)
SumpLayout (2).jpg

SumpLayout (5).jpg

The eggcrate on the refugium baffle will be one piece, just used scraps to see about how much I'd need.
SumpLayout (6).jpg

SumpLayout (7).jpg

Not looking forward to siliconing in the bubble trap baffles. If the tower was any indication of my lack of skills/experience I'll be doing a lot of cursing. At one point doing the tower I forget the tank was on its side and went to put one tower wall in. Of course the edge had a bead of silicone which I promptly tried to pass through the solid side wall.

Thoughts on the layout, baffle heights, drilling after installing them??

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just received the "Hydor Performer 705 Skimmer In Sump/Out of Sump for Aquariums" I ordered from Amazon. So I opened up the boxes to check it out. Wouldn't you know it, Murphy dropped by to pay a visit:

brokenskimmer1.jpg

brokenskimmer2.jpg

While I had it out I tossed it in the sump to get an idea of where I need to put the bubble trap baffles. Guess I'll need to make some more space. ;o)

skimmerplacement1.jpg

skimmerplacement2.jpg

skimmerplacement3.jpg

Love the Lincoln Logs!!!!!
Child's blocks where my "spacer" of choice...................

New Hydor Skimmer came today. No cracks like the first one. So far so good...

Here's some pics of the Sicce HP4000 Power Streams:

SiccePowerheads1.jpg

SiccePowerheads2.jpg

SiccePowerheads3.jpg

Got my pumps in today.

The beast! Reeflo Hammerhead/Barracuda Hybrid. My buddy was amazed at the size of it... said it's bigger than the pumps they use at work in the glass shop:

reeflo.jpg

And the small, but hopefully robust and long-lived, Hydor Seltz L20 skimmer pump:

hydorseltzl20.jpg

Goals for this weekend:
- plan out how I'm going to use the stand I built; 40B on top? get a bigger tank? buy a feeder tank thingy? use two tanks? where to place the return pump? how to plumb it all.
- get more sand, IO salt, heaters, etc.
- finalize plumbing in the basement
- find some 2-part epoxy and get crackin' on a 'scape
- entice the brother-in-law to come do the electrical work
- not have the wife disown me

looking good.sure wish i had more time to get some work done on mine,the 4 month old takes up most of it..i did get my rock work all set.i used the e-marco 400 mortar mix and it worked awesome.

Just curious if you plan on running both the powerheads at the same time or are you going to alternate them on and off to create some gyre's?

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. It's been a little frustrating at how long this is taking. Every time I get a little further something else comes up to think about. My personality type isn't one that enjoys things out of my control. (Guess this was the wrong hobby to get into. *grin*)

Just curious if you plan on running both the powerheads at the same time or are you going to alternate them on and off to create some gyre's?

I plan to alternate them with a poor-mans controller; two cheap Home Depot timers... each will have the opposite set of buttons pushed so the powerheads alternate. These timers divide the day into 15 minute increments, I haven't found anything with more control that that (not for $10 for both anyways). I figure 15 minutes should be plenty of time to start a gyre. I'll probably set it up so the gyre stops alternating at night. Won't know until I see how much water these things move.

I went with the Sicce Voyagers based on Jake's recommendation... although I went a couple levels about what he suggested.
Well, after the meeting with Jake I'm going to

Everything looks awesome so far, I'm loving this build. keep up the hard work. For me this is my favorite part, since I love to tinker with stuff. I am just about there with a 54corner tank, I'm just waiting to have my gfi's I installed tied into the panel so I have power at the tank and it's ready to be filled and cycled. (I'm cheating right now too, my rocks are cycling already in a brute)

Goals for this weekend:
- plan out how I'm going to use the stand I built; 40B on top? get a bigger tank? buy a feeder tank thingy? use two tanks? where to place the return pump? how to plumb it all.
- get more sand, IO salt, heaters, etc.
- finalize plumbing in the basement
- find some 2-part epoxy and get crackin' on a 'scape
- entice the brother-in-law to come do the electrical work
- not have the wife disown me

Well, this weekend was pretty much a bust as far as actual progress goes. I did manage to complete:

- Bought a 100G rubbermaid stock tank to use as a sump. Not just have to plan that all out. I think I'll add a shelf to the bottom of my stand so I can mount the return there. The stand would go on the left, long side pointing to the wall behind it, with the stock tank to the right (raised up 4" off the floor).
- Bought some Instant Ocean salt, regular stuff (160g bucket) so I can save the Reef Crystals for after cycling.
- Bought some InstantOcean FastHold epoxy to start mucking with the rock-scape. Actually took the eggcrate out of the tank to use as a template on the counter. Had the kids scaping on the floor with a towel.

Tomorrow the RO/DI unit comes in. That should get me going in regards to finishing up the plumbing downstairs.

Kids 'scaping:
kidsscaping.jpg

New 'scape using Marco dry rock:
newscape.jpg

Hydor skimmer and supply pump:
hydorskimmerandpump.jpg

Frag stand w/tank and new 100G stock tank, potention layout. You can see the Reeflo return pump on the bottom of the frag stand:
fragstandandsump.jpg

Back