My First Saltwater

Mctechnica and Reefkeeper 1699-
I am about the same stage as you two. I have started a SERA Biotop Nano Cube 60 in my office cubilce towards the end of October. It's a great looking and quiet tank with glass seemless front corners. The hood contains a cf T5 bulb with one broad spectrum tube and one nictinic. Down the road I plan on adding a LED strip for shimmer and to have the night light effect. If anyone is looking for a nano tank I highly recommend the SERA. I got it online for $162 which was a comfortable entry point for this hobby. It has four filter chambers but so far I only have dry rock in one and no other filtration. With only 16 gallons regular water changes are not much of a chore.

I have about 7 pounds of live rock in the display side, altogether about 15 pounds and most of a bag of live sand. It currently has had small hermit crabs and four snails as I started getting brown algae on the sand. That is gone. Last Friday I purchased a Duncan coral polyp which apppears to be thriving. I don't plan on having more than four fish. Candidates are firefish or black ray goby with pistol shrimp, the Rainford goby, yellow tail damsel. I'd like to also have a small blenny such as the two spot bimaculatus blenny.

I am blown away by the world of corals. I also find it an enormous challenge to develop the working knowledge to recognize names let alone correctly associate them with what I see in any of the marine specialty stores. But that is what makes it intriguing. I at least understand the differences between LPS, SPS, gorgonias, soft corals and anemone. I hope to attend the December meeting and get to meet you and others. I am very grateful to all the experienced members who contribute their knowledge to this forum.

Hope to see you there fishport! Will be nice to meet you and exchange ideas. Please feel free to create a new post in the introduction section and introduce yourself and your tank and your plans and goals. This way everyone can find it and see it. Here it's in the middle of a post and may be missed by many members and I'd hate to see us miss out on learning about you as well as you learning about us and more on this hobby. :)

Well I guess I'm turning this into my build thread. My light just came in the other day, it's suppose to be a Christmas present from my wife but I convinced her to let me open it and make sure nothing was broken ;). I'm going to let her wrap it up though so I have something under the tree. :rolleyes:

IMG_20131208_165958_zps1381879b.jpg

Anyway, I decided to go with the Coralife T5 lunar 30", I did a lot of research and read the pro's and con's about the light but for my application I think it should work out well and I got a wicked good deal on it. The only thing that has me a little worried is Coralife is the only manufacturer of the 30" T5's (that I could find) so hopefully they don't discontinue them.

I also just ordered an RO/DI unit from BRS that should be coming in this week.:)

Just a thought. Are you sure that the bulb is 30" not just the fixture. I know with aquatic life there 30" fixture still uses 24" bulbs

Just a thought. Are you sure that the bulb is 30" not just the fixture. I know with aquatic life there 30" fixture still uses 24" bulbs

Yeah I'm pretty sure. I looked at the bulbs they came in a separate box, the bulbs are actually 27.75" long.

My BRS RO/DI unit came last night and I got a box of salt from a member here. Really impressed with it thus far. Plan to make my first batch of saltwater and start cycling my rocks this weekend.

IMG_20131213_192735_zps88046910.jpg

It's an exciting and addicting world to get into. Every step you do from now on is an exciting adventure. It's so fun to see the progress as months go by.

Got everything up and running finally. Bought a 40 breeder but decided to go ahead and set up the 29G for now and store the 40 breeder for when I'm ready to upgrade. Going bare bottom for the time being because we'll be moving to a new place in a couple months so I figured it'll make the move a little easier.

IMG_20140118_162802_zps5804f205.jpg

Back