My first wood project: DIY Stand & Canopy..Just showing off

MelodyDurham said:
It's gorgeous! I really admire you folks that jump right in and do things yourself! If I had better tools (like a nice table saw, and a bigger garage) I'd love to do that!

Really nice work! Thanks so much for sharing!

Melody~

Melody, i hesistate a lot and i wasn't sure if i can do this but i decided to give it a shot and it came out pretty good.
I think tools i used are miter saw, circular saw, clamps etc... I haven't used table saw. I also borrowed few tools but after doing this job i think i am definatley going to buy miter saw, i love the cut it makes.

Shoeib said:
Melody, i hesistate a lot and i wasn't sure if i can do this but i decided to give it a shot and it came out pretty good.
I think tools i used are miter saw, circular saw, clamps etc... I haven't used table saw. I also borrowed few tools but after doing this job i think i am definatley going to buy miter saw, i love the cut it makes.

I hear that! I borrowed a mitre saw when I was doing the baseboards in my bathroom. I even coped out the mitred edges with a coping saw. Things look so nice when you have nice tools to work with.

How long did it take you to complete the project?

Melody~

MelodyDurham said:
I hear that! I borrowed a mitre saw when I was doing the baseboards in my bathroom. I even coped out the mitred edges with a coping saw. Things look so nice when you have nice tools to work with.

How long did it take you to complete the project?

Melody~

Melody, if you have some experience with these tools then it will be much easier to build this kind of stand.
With my wife being pregnant and 3 year old running around it took few weeks but i was mainly working after 10.00 PM to 1.00 AM and some times start early around 5.00 AM to 8.00 AM.
I would say framing of stand and canopy can be done in a day (if you spend whole day for it) and staining and other part will take few days as you have to let them dry before you apply other coats.

Very nice!! You must be bursting with pride!!

I especially like the stand design, looks real surdy.

Patrick

Thanks guys for replies, yes i am very happy with the way it turned out. If you visit JBNY's website, he gives some pointers and guidelines to build it and it was very helpful.

SHOmuchFUN said:
What'd you use to attach your canopy panels? Did you use a biscuit joiner?

What's biscuit jointer? lol

I just use screws to connect different pieces of canopy and i use glue for the molding.

Shoeib said:
What's biscuit jointer? lol

I just use screws to connect different pieces of canopy and i use glue for the molding.
LOL..I did the same thing. I built my last stand and canopy with nothing but a circular saw and screws/glue. I was amazed at how nice it came out. Panel doors and all...

smcnally said:
LOL..I did the same thing. I built my last stand and canopy with nothing but a circular saw and screws/glue. I was amazed at how nice it came out. Panel doors and all...

I hear you. I used drill, circular saw, miter saw and clamps to hold things together that's it. I like DIY ;)

Back