My Large Feather-Duster lost it's head..

GinaD

Very Happy Red Sox Reefer
If a large feather duster loses just the feathers, could it still be alive? ...and will it grow back?

I don't want to have to try and dislodge it from the LR if it's not dead. TIA!

Leave it be. If it just popped it's top, it'll probably regrow.

I had one that totally bailed from it's tube, and that was not good at all. But I've heard that they sometimes pop off their feathers and they CAN regrow. I think it was supposed to be a stress issue, but I don't fully remember.

yes,,had similliar thing happen with one of mine.. it grew back rather quickly.. i think though if the worm leaves the tube that is not a good sign.. had one do that as well and that was the end of it...

I had 2 feather dusters drop their crowns and bail from their tubes. Both found their way up into cozy spots in the rock and have been doing well ever since. I would say that it took less than 3 weeks for the both to re-establish.

it should be fine my trigger attacked my FD and it regenerated and it regrew but its feathers are a little smaller

Thanks for sharing your thread, Nate. I have learned from it that they will 'pop their top' if they are stressed from a recent change. That's exactly what has happened. The FD has cemented itself thru several LR's and recently, one of the LR's shifted slightly, pinching the very base of the tube, causing a right-angle of the tube. I've been afraid to shift the LR to reverse this because the tube is attached to about 4 different LR's.

It's growing back, FINALLY! I was going to give up on it when I saw slime coming out of the tube a little bit and I wasn't sure how long it would be before it's feathers grew back - or even if it would at all, but this morning I saw them poking thru the tube about 1/2". :) Very cool.

The head will usually grow back. If the worm is pulled out of the tube it can grow a new tube if it is protected against anything that would eat it and also has enough calcium to build the new tube, but it is more likely to regrow if it comes out itself.

Back