My last and finale diy light hood

willray

Division Champs
For my 75 that is.:D I like my low profile canopy soo I want to use it.To get the spread from the hailde my hood would have to be about 12" off the water n/g for me.Angles(If I've done my calculations right) will direct the light in a better spread for my hood height. In the end view you can see the rad shape.Look at the flat area on top that will be nothing but the slope to the right of that will be 2 x 150 w DE fixtures.The light from the halides will hit the back wall and the bottom but not out the front no waste of light that way either.The long angled slope to the left will be 3 x 54 t5's w/ reflectors overdriven.To combat heat each DE fixture will have it's own fan.You can see the holes for the fans in the second pic.

Attachments

• hood end view.JPG
    hood end view.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 653
  • new hood.JPG
    new hood.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 636
Do you have a metal workshop at your house? I mean that looks like alot of work....and probably a million small suts on your hands.

Nate that's funny...OCC I like it.
No I don't have a shop at home.I started this several months ago and work on it a little at a time.It's was not a lot of work for what it looks like. I'm trying to keep it simple enough so I might,maybe, possibly sell them.NO sharpe edges or corners to cut yourself on....... anywhere.
Hydraulics,neon light fan...now your talking.

looks good Bill....what's the inside look like? Do you still use the individual reflectors?

looks good Bill....what's the inside look like? Do you still use the individual reflectors?

Thanks Andy.Not much to look at inside....yet.All my parts are in, now just have to get myself into gear and am def using the individual reflectors.

Beautiful looking hood! My question for you is how do you find the time to do that with someone in your house that small (i.e. your avatar). I can never find the time to work on anything unless I take time off from work. The "little bit at a time" thing really holds true! Great job!

Mike

The little bit at a time was at work.The rest(assembly)will be at home and my grandson as were my children are/were encouraged to have me help them:p.

The fans for the halides is..uh was a hardrive cooler that I cut in half and closed up the sides.

Attachments

• hardrive cooler.JPG
    hardrive cooler.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 482
  • fan mount.JPG
    fan mount.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 493
halide fan setup

So the 70 mm fans would draw air thru the DE fixture I had to raise the fixture up 1/4" with these spacers.Otherwise I would have had to pop a hole in the fixture and that would have lost alot of reflectivity.This way it will pull air thru the fins/louvers on the ends past the bulb exit thru the openings for the bulb bracket and out the top.

Attachments

• spacer.JPG
    spacer.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 478
  • DSCN4377.JPG
    DSCN4377.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 469
  • spacer in place.JPG
    spacer in place.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 464
some updated pics

1st pic The 70mm fans will be mini forced hot air heaters for the living room.

2nd pic Halides and fans mounted and wired.

Attachments

• halide fans.JPG
    halide fans.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 420
  • halides mounted.JPG
    halides mounted.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 430
Thanks Kevin and Jerry!I think I have more time into R/D than labor.
In this next pic you can see the holes for the rear ventalation and the quick disconnects for the t5's,halides,fans and moon lights.I like to make things easy to move,repair and the other pic is showing the moonlights one icecap and 3 diy ones.

Attachments

• DSCN4381.JPG
    DSCN4381.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCN4383.JPG
    DSCN4383.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Bill you do great work, of course it helps you have unlimited access to stainless steel....:)

Rob

Thanks Rob.It may be unlimited but it aint cheap...over 3.10$ a lb.My fixture weighs about 8 lbs w/o hardware soo..um...uh...yeh! $25.o.k. I guess that's cheap enough.

Back