My new ORA Blue Mandarin (Blue, Green, Psychadelic, whatever slang you wanna use)

Well mines been hiding in an unknown location since 8:30 lastnight. Haven't seen him since other tan this morning when his head was peeking out from a cave but other than that he is once again hiding from me. Tough to feed a fish who you cant find. =\

This may be one of my last posts on here, but today is day 2 of the mandarin being missing, and tonight I found my $20 spotted goby dried up dead outside my tank whom i've owned for many months no problems and i'm 99% certain the mandarin is gone as well since my nassarius are very active today as are my shrimp. I tested water params and everything was spot on so I don't understand.

However, I regret to inform you all, but a $65 fish dead (presumably) within a day, and another $20 fish gone the same day, has become the final nail amongst dozens in the coffin for me and I have decided to break down my 29g. Please nobody attempt to talk me out of this as it is painful enough that i'm even doing so, but it's more painful each time a tragedy like this happens to me. I will be making a breakdown for sale thread in the coming days so everyone keep an eye out for it. I just want anything to do with saltwater out of my home a.s.a.p.

sorry to hear that, you sure the mandarins gone, he looks pretty healthy in your picture, and ive read mandarins cant get ick because of the slime on there body(dont know how true that is). any rocks fall or anything, did the goby kill him and then commit suicide, there kindve in the same family. maybe there was some fighting u didnt see

Makes no sense...

If you say your water conditions are spot on, then there should be no reason why the mandarin would have died. He only arrived from ORA within a few days, and he may very well be still stunned by being in a bag for a good amount of time. It took four days to see my first spotted green mandarin eat anything from the day I first got him. It took a week for my blue mandarin to actually start acting like he was interested in putting anything in his mouth when I first got him.

Your goby could have done the carpet surfing suicde...do you have a glass lid on your tank? There could be some aggression too behind the scene. You may find your mandarin when you break your tank down, if you so choose. An option, if you decide to stay on, is to clear out some of the live rocks and only keep ones that are simple in form so that there isnt all the nooks for the mandarin to hide. I have live rocks too, but I position them so that I can easily find any fish at any time. You can do the same, given your tank is only a bit bigger than mine. By doing this, you can have greater control of the whole situation, and mandarins need their people to be in control. Dont give up so soon. mike

Last edited:
some pics of my fish

Attachments

• m_DSC_0184_nikon.jpg
    m_DSC_0184_nikon.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 235
  • m_DSC_0082_nikon.jpg
    m_DSC_0082_nikon.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 229
  • m_DSC_0001_nikon.jpg
    m_DSC_0001_nikon.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 223