Need help with picking return pump..... HELP PLEASE!!!!

underh2o2long

Non-member
I have a 75RR tank upstairs in my room, I am running flex lines inside the walls to the basement into a 40 gallon sump. Approx 12-13' of head pressure. I am looking a very quite pump... I tried my friends Gen-x 40 and worked awesome but way too loud.:(

Can anyone suggest a pump that is quite and will work for my application?

Thanks!

Reeflo BH1100? I havent used one but most Reeflo pumps are silent and reliable, but runs a little more in power draw though

600_BH-Brochure-2012.gif

600_BH-Comp-back-ALT.jpg

I have a 75RR tank upstairs in my room, I am running flex lines inside the walls to the basement into a 40 gallon sump. Approx 12-13' of head pressure. I am looking a very quite pump... I tried my friends Gen-x 40 and worked awesome but way too loud.:(

Can anyone suggest a pump that is quite and will work for my application?

Thanks!
You tried the Gen Mak4 and it was too load in the basement? Are you sure it wasn't vibration? Most external pumps make noise as they have cooling fans some are quieter than others, no matter what pump it is you can minimize pumps noise. I have run a few of the GenX PCX40/Mak4 pump all were as quiet as the next. the Reeflo I run now is louder but that is just the way the return is running it is vibrating on the sump(stock tank) so it is fairly loud. Not loud enough for me to do anything about it though.

When you say flex, do you mean clear flex or PVC/spaflex?

You tried the Gen Mak4 and it was too load in the basement? Are you sure it wasn't vibration? Most external pumps make noise as they have cooling fans some are quieter than others, no matter what pump it is you can minimize pumps noise. I have run a few of the GenX PCX40/Mak4 pump all were as quiet as the next. the Reeflo I run now is louder but that is just the way the return is running it is vibrating on the sump(stock tank) so it is fairly loud. Not loud enough for me to do anything about it though.

When you say flex, do you mean clear flex or PVC/spaflex?

It is pvc/spaflex. I was using bulkreefsystems damping pad under the pump to quite down the vibration and noise with no real luck.

was it in a corner or sitting on a box of sorts? Try a Reeflo they are quiet can;t go wring there. If it is still loud just repost and describe the issue. then the troubleshooting can start.

Things to avoid. hard plumbing between the sump and pump. sitting the pump on a box type setup or in a corner. as well make sure the pump fan points put into the open.

was it in a corner or sitting on a box of sorts? Try a Reeflo they are quiet can;t go wring there. If it is still loud just repost and describe the issue. then the troubleshooting can start.

Things to avoid. hard plumbing between the sump and pump. sitting the pump on a box type setup or in a corner. as well make sure the pump fan points put into the open.

I am trying to find a online dealer with no luck.... would you happen to have a link? This pump sounds like the one I am looking for... no pun intended...;-)

http://reeflopumps.com/

The site says "now on sale at premiumaquatics.com but I have not been able to find the new pumps. They show the Hammerhead, Snapper, and Darts, but not the BlowHole ones. You could PM Jeremy B. from Premium Aquatics to see if they are carrying them but not listed yet

Last edited:
I agree with Delta, I have one running in my living room, and it's nice and quiet. I have it on a pad, and that helps a lot. Make sure no pipe is touching anything.

Good luck Derek

Back