Need to add magnesium....where to get it in May??

Dtilton

Non-member
Hi-

Tanks looking good with our 2 percs and we've been doing more research into chemistry and additives and 2 part and all that good stuff in prep for adding corals and getting our coraline to grow a bit. In doing some reading I've seen that the salt we use- Instant Ocean- is known for low calcium and magnesium, and our testing confirms this. We're going to hit Sprawlmart and pick up some pickling lime and start dripping through an IV drip (brother is an Army medic and hooked me up!) and I need to add magnesium to get that up a bit to proper levels and to help combat some bryopsis we have.

The big question- where do we get the good source of Mag in May? Not epsom salts- read that wasn't the right kind- but the good stuff that it seems is only sold during the winter? Anyone who can let us know where we can buy this? Thanks!

Danny & Janet

Last edited:
how large is your system?
If small enough i would avoid driveway grade mag if you can and use a reef specific product.
You may not be able to find pickiling lime at walmart at this time of year.
If all else fails you could try twopartsolution.com. their prices are pretty good.

if your calcium is low...kalkwasser aka pickling juice will not raise it. its used to maintain levels not raise them. id suggest a product like kent calcium or similar product to raise the calc.

as for mag, like Liam said, Id buy something like Kent Tech M to raise your mag if the tank is small enough. If you have a 240g tank with low mag that would cost insane money. however it would work nicely for say a 55g tank.

I'm in the same boat on the Mg. Need to bring it up a bunch on 180G of water. The seachem stuff is getting pricy :(

i compensate for IO's low mg by mixing it with oceanic which has very high mg,then you have no need for addding mg

Sprawlmart in North Attleboro had 5 boxes of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime,so bought all 5- $11! Our tank is 90 and the fuge is 30, so a lot of the LFS bought mag additive will get very pricey indeed..... Liam- I may try your suggestion of picking up some oceanic salt for the water change this week.... Any danger with not mixing the Oceanic with the IO I currently use and using all Oceanic to get my levels up, then start mixing the two? Thanks all!! -D&J

Sprawlmart in North Attleboro had 5 boxes of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime,so bought all 5- $11! Our tank is 90 and the fuge is 30, so a lot of the LFS bought mag additive will get very pricey indeed..... Liam- I may try your suggestion of picking up some oceanic salt for the water change this week.... Any danger with not mixing the Oceanic with the IO I currently use and using all Oceanic to get my levels up, then start mixing the two? Thanks all!! -D&J

no i would not just switch salts,that can cause problems.
I find mixed around 50/50 you get decent results.
I woiuld never use oceanic on its own.When mixed to 1.025 the calcium seems to run in the 600 range and the mag 1600-1700.But if you mix it with IO which has mag around 1100 and calcium of around 360 it compensates for the low levels.
At 50/50 i get mg of 1260-1300,alk 9 dkh,ca of around 460.
I am still only on my first buckets of IO and oceanic so i cannot comment on their consistency.
Obviously this also gives twicwe as much salt and no need to adjust for low salt levels.

Yeah,I noticed that out local Wally World over in CT had a bunch still on the shelve.You know 5 boxes will last you....oh.......about 5 yrs.;)

Thanks for the heads up on Bulk Reef Supply... I'm getting Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride, then I can buy baking soda at BJs pretty cheap. I'll use these 3 to get my levels up, then maintain with Kalkwasser...... Thanks all for the info and advice!

Back