Need to add More Fish

pvh

Non-member
I would like to add a few more small size fish in my tank. I would like to get a few more wrasses or a bunch of clowns. However I have a pretty tamed six line wrasse and a pair of maroon gold bars clowns in my tank already. You guys think this will be ok?

doesnt look good, I think you would be better off putting a wrasse in but that 6 line might get aggressive. The clowns will defiantly be killed by your maroons

Wrasses maybe, but i wouldn't chance any more clowns unless you wanted to get rid of the gold stripes. Different clowns species in the same tank fight to begin with, and maroon gold stripe clowns are known to be the nastiest of all of the clowns... so i really wouldn't chance putting anymore clowns in.

You could try another type of wrasse though.. just make sure it's not so delicate that a little bit of aggravation from the sixline won't kill it...

Even if I add like 4 small clowns?

If not then I'm interested in getting maybe 2 flasher wrasses.

i'd say it's a no go on the clowns...

even if it's like pink skunk clowns and ocellaris clowns, they are going to fight till the death, nevermind a large clown (like a maroon GS) and smaller clowns. They wouldn't last long IMO.

On the flasher wrasses... it could work, but i personally wouldn't go with flasher wrasses, i would go with something that was maybe a bit bigger, that way they could put up with a little bit of initial bullying from the sixline.

Ya no matter how many clowns you add you will end up with 2 maroons in the end. I did keep 2 pairs of clowns for a few years in a 5ft 120, I had a pair of saddleback hosting in a carpet and a pair of pink skunks hosting in a RBTA, The male saddle died out of the blue one day and I gave away the female when I changed over to the 120

I had 6 Evan Anthias in my tank before but slowly they died off 1 by 1. I think because they are a bit picky eaters. I have 5 fish in my tank, 2 clowns, mandarian, 6-line, yellow tang.

Yeah, anthias can be picky eaters... what type did you have?

Also, were they all females? 1 male and a few females? Multiple males?

Anthias are not considered an easy fish to keep, but that said a lot of reefers have good success with them compared to the average hobbiest because we all have very good water quality (because it's required to keep corals).

You could also maybe look at chromis, or cardinal fish... they are both small enough that you could add multiple fish to your tank, and not have any bioload issues.

I don't remember seeing anything except the 6-line wrasse when I was there lol... how about an dwarf angel fish like a flame angel or coral beauty? Or a basslet like a chalk basslet (one of my favorites)?

although dwarf angels are nice, and add a lot of color and activity to someones tank, i wouldn't recommend Peter doing it... he simply has to much money invested in corals to chance getting one of those daemonic dwarf angels that rip everything to shreds.

clowns

I have 7 percs in my 210 , 2 of which are b/w's and never had an issue, but I'd be afraid to add another one because they would harass the heck out of him...

I have 7 percs in my 210 , 2 of which are b/w's and never had an issue, but I'd be afraid to add another one because they would harass the heck out of him...

Maroons and percs are on an entirely different pages when it comes to aggression. Some maroon owners can't even stick their hands in the tank without getting bit...

Maroons and percs are on an entirely different pages when it comes to aggression. Some maroon owners can't even stick their hands in the tank without getting bit...

I've had a large female maroon draw blood for me....

Like andrew said, way different aggression levels there... and on top of that your tank is more than double the size of peters.. so fish have a lot more room to set-up territories, and hide if they need to.

I'd harpoon the 6 line and get a small school of Lyretail Anthias. 6 lines will most likely turn on any other wrasse or anthias, or anything remotely similar to them at some point. It usually takes a couple of years, but most of them do ime. The last one I had cost me 3 Bartletts Anthias, a 5 Bar Mystery Wrasse, and a few Flasher Wrasse among others. I think you were here when he was banished to the mantis tank I had set up at the time. Sorry to say, but the clowns may be a problem with any other fish you add also. I had a pair of Tomatoes that took over one side of my 210 a few years back. They would chase every fish, no matter how big, to the other side of the tank. I had to remove them to their own yank. The female draws blood pretty much every time I put my hand in that tank. I would expect a pair of maroons to do behave the same to any new fish in your 72.

Last edited:
I don't remember seeing anything except the 6-line wrasse when I was there lol... how about an dwarf angel fish like a flame angel or coral beauty? Or a basslet like a chalk basslet (one of my favorites)?

although dwarf angels are nice, and add a lot of color and activity to someones tank, i wouldn't recommend Peter doing it... he simply has to much money invested in corals to chance getting one of those daemonic dwarf angels that rip everything to shreds.

Def no on a dwarf angel...

Chalk basslets might be a problem with the 6line as they are of similar size and body shape. IMO the 6line would rip it to shreds...

I would think a small school of chromis would look nice...

Gobies will dump a pile of sand wherever they decide to make their burrow. I found them to be a pain in the butt with my zoas.

I had chromis and IMO they are a bit boring. Gobies I don't think I have any uncovered sandbed for them to dig. Clowns I don't think I will get. As for Angel fish I don't think I want to risk my tank with them

What about a few more 6-line wrasses? Would they fight each other?

Last edited:
Back