New guy

jackd625

Non-member
Hey all, just introducing myself. I'm jack from Boston. Just found your website the other day. Wish I did before I got my tank up and running. It probably wouldve saved me a lot of money and trouble :)

Right now my set up is a 55 gallon tank, skimmer (not sure of anything about it), t5 lighting, API Rena X2 canister filter, and a couple of heaters and powerheads.

I have about 70lbs of live rock(give or take a few), live sand, a damsel( it might be going back to the store if he bothers anyone), a chromis, small clean up crew, and some other hitch-hikers.

I want to start adding coral soon (just hesitant, because with my luck something bad will happen), and build a 20 gallon or so sump in the stand. Any suggestions on what I should do for a hob overflow box and return pump?

Last edited:
Thanks guys...

Yea the plan is to get rid of it, just trying to figure out what exactly I need to replace it :p

hey jack, welcome....Have you got all your paremeters in check? Ca, Mag, Alk/KH? u using ro/di water?

Hey, sorry been pretty busy the last few days. Everything is in check and yes Ive been getting ro/di water from someone but I eventually want to get my own system!

Btw how do you guys justify spending so much on such small corals hahahah?? I'm starting to think I may end up with a fowlr tank lol

Hey, sorry been pretty busy the last few days. Everything is in check and yes Ive been getting ro/di water from someone but I eventually want to get my own system!

Btw how do you guys justify spending so much on such small corals hahahah?? I'm starting to think I may end up with a fowlr tank lol

Those small corals turn into nice big pieces later on :) Also a lot of people on these forums sell corals pretty regularly and make decent coin doing so..

have you ever checked to see what the tds is of the water your using?

the money we spend on out corals is something we do cause we want to...Different reefers spend different amounts...no one has a gun to anyones head!! (but when you see a coral with striking color...I don't know...for me...I'm like....oh man...."I want that!!")

FWIW...there r alot of people on this site that are thrifty reefers...They enjoy the hobby just like someone who drops crazy money on the hobby...It's all what you want to get out of it personally...hopefully you will consider it!!
I had a SWFO for over a decade before I went to reef keeping..(been in RK well over a decade now as well)
GL..
B

Welcome! The hobby is expensive in general. Buying corals from the LFS is also expensive. You can easily pick up corals from fellow reef keepers for under $10 a frag.

Back