New here, Back to hobby after 25 years

postmills

I've been lurking reading posts here for about two months, decided it was about time to join in and register.

I ran 100 gallon marine tank for about six years 25 years ago, before the kids came, and had pretty good success with the dolomite undergravel filtering system and a very rudimentary sump. Protein skimmer's only came to be known in my last few years before I had to close down the tank and return of the much larger fish to local marine store in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Now back in Rhode Island and have the itch to start up now that the kids are gone and I can pretend to afford it.

I can't believe how much things have changed and beg your indulgence if I sound stupid as I try to catch up.

After a lot of reading for example;
For example: Natural Reef Aquariums: By: John H. Tullock
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist By: Robert M. Fenner
BTW Any other major books anyone can suggest? Or is this the wrong place to ask such a question?

I am planning to build 120 gallon reef tank with a basement sump system.
Hope this is a place where I can ask a lot of "Dumb" questions.

Glad to find this forum!

Postmills

Welcome back!

This is where I post all my dumb questions - ask anyone.:D

There are a good amount of Rhode Islanders here, in fact we are doing a RI tank tour next weekend - all good folks if you care to join in.

If you are looking for a book that will help with setting you tank and sump up get The Reef Aquarium Vol 3. Great book with an unbelievable amount of info on current technology and how to use it.

Welcome to the BRS!

The best place to get answers to reef questions is in reef talk. In fact, I'll move this thread for you..... :)

Welcome Postmills. The club is a great source of info. Try to make one of our monthly meetings. Among other perks, the club has an extensive library of books and video available to members.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new project progress!

-Joe

Again welcome, heh, heh, you conjured up some old memories. Back in the early 70's I had a 125 in the basement, with a 20L suspended over the tank. The water would be pumped from the tank up to the 20 gal "biological" filter that had "4 inches of sand in it, and then would drain back down into the tank, talk about primitive compared to today's technology. Thanks for the memories. ;)

If you are looking for a book that will help with setting you tank and sump up get The Reef Aquarium Vol 3. Great book with an unbelievable amount of info on current technology and how to use it.

If Smithcreek is referring to this book by J.Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung I completely agree.

Besides that, Welcome!

Edit: Oh, about the 120. If that's the biggest that will EVER fit in the ONLY place you can do this with the cellar sump, great. If not, I recommend going with the largest that will fit and let your budget dictate the schedule. In the long run, you'll spend far less.

Last edited:
The library is sweet. I was about to go out and spend on some books, then realized I could join the BRS for 20 dollars. I finished 3 books in 1 week(not that obsessed right??) and learned a ton. Now I prefer to just post here on the boards.

>For example: Natural Reef Aquariums: By: John H. Tullock<

This is IMO, one of the better beginner books to read. When friends of mine express an interest in the hobby I usually loan them my copy of the book. While I agree that the Delbeek and Sprung Vol. III is an excellent book, you might find it a bit overwhelming.

Welcome back!

This is where I post all my dumb questions - ask anyone.:D

There are a good amount of Rhode Islanders here, in fact we are doing a RI tank tour next weekend - all good folks if you care to join in.

We are? Why wasn't I notified about this? Oh yeah welcome!

I would get any book by Al Theil, and use them as a guide to propel you into the 21st century. IMO, Thiel was and still is the premier authority. Yes, there are other good authors, but I still find myself refering to Thiels early newsletters, and remarkably the info is still valid. Welcome back to the hobby, you'll be amazed at how far we've come.

Welcome to the BRS. You'll find a great bunch of knowledgeable people here.
I got back into the hobby about 3 1/2 years ago after a 12 year absence. Amazing how much the hobby changed!!:D

Back