New Lighting for a 120 gal tank

nashlake

Rochester, NH
BRS Member
I changed tanks about 8 months ago, moving from a 90 gal to a 120 RR tank. I have been using the canopy from my 90 with (2) 250 MH with AB bulbs and (2) 110 w URI actinic VHO.

The front of the tank is doing great, all 4 clams happy with good color on my SPS. The back of the tank isn?t doing as well as old canopy doest cover the back 6 " of the tank.

I am now ready to build a new canopy but have a few questions for the group.

Do I stick with my current lighting and recenter the MH in the new canopy adding more VHO as space allows? Or add more MH, either more lamps or higher output. I do plan on buying a new ballast for a frag tank so I could add a 400W to the display and move a 250 to the frag tank. I am running icecap ballasts

I am also torn between T5s and VHO, I really like the color of the URI actinic but would like to have a quality reflector like available for the T5s.

Thanks

Jeff

A 120 and a 90 are the same height correct? 250's are fine for anything you want to keep in a 120. As far as the supplimental light, you can use as many bulbs to achieve the desired look. You really don't need any but I like the look of actinics. I prefer the flouresence of VHO over T5 and have had both running sided by side in the same room. I havn't tried too many T5 bulbs though. I used URI VHO's.

Thanks,

Yes the 90 and 120 are both 24 inches tall, my concern was getting light over the width of the tank.

Have you tried the Lumenarc minis, they are 14" square and would allow me to add several VHO actinic bulbs. If I used the Lumenarc III, Im not sure if I would have room to add extra bulbs.

Thanks

Jeff

I'm doing a pair of 250W halides only (20K and 10K). No supplemental lighting. Besides, the halides are where the growth is.

You could just center your existing lights and it should be fine. I'm running 3 250's on my 210. I'm also using T5's. One blue+ one actinic 03. Great color.

Back