New Member says Hello! & Help!!

yeah, I just started here a few weeks ago and there are a lot of people who have a GREAT deal of really good knowledge. I can say the learning curve only is a great as the amount of time you put in. 1+ on all the info you've gotten here.

I also bought an established tank and that IMO is really the best way to go. A couple pieces of advice that I've discovered in my 3 weeks of having my new set-up:

1. This hobby WILL swallow a lot of time (at first necessarily so, because there is so much to learn), so if you feel yourself getting swallowed up, check your levels for your own sanity, and then go outside for a walk or something...

2. Lighting really is the most important. I bought an inexpensive PC light that I really do like, but I want to upgrade to a MH system. Going to cost me that much more. You MUST establish what you want to do and work toward that. An LFS to look for what you want is a great thing, but find what you want and look here. Go to them to see what you want to get and look here and on other forums to find equipment. There's a lot of good stuff here.

3. In the long run, you are going to want to get an RO/DI unit. Water is REALLY good to have on hand and if you have to go to the LFS ($.50 - $1.00/ gal) on a Sunday afternoon... well, they might be open, or they might even have water (yes, my LFS did run out of water), or not...it's a gamble. Much easier to have your own water source for the tank, much less having the water for yourself to drink.

There is so much more, but you'll find it out on this forum. These guys have been great to me.

Back