New new wanna be reefer

kmanuel4

Non-member
HI all My name Is Krystle I have currently a freshwater tank 55g. I have a few items to start my conversion to saltwater. I have sooo many questions. ive read alot but not to much on things like how to start.. cycling ect. Can anyone direct a really new beginner in the right direction? So excited to be here but also so overwhelmed with all the terms and knowledge. LOL My basics will be this how much live rock and dead rock should I buy for my reef cycling, should this even be a concern right now or should I start w sand and fish?

TY:)

No fish until after the cycle has done. If you are starting from scratch then you can use basically all dead/base rock and just get one piece of live rock to help seed.

Welcome aboard! Read read and read some more! Ask any and all questions you can think of too. Chances are it's been asked before lol. There is a ton of experienced people on here that are more than willing to help ya out in any way we can.
As far as cycling goes, do what you want w sand and dry rock, add a piece or two of live rock, a cup of live sand would be good too. Don't add anything as far as livestock until all your levels stabilize though.
What do you have for equipment so far? Lights, skimmer, sump, reef ready or not, etc.

Welcome to the BRS!:w Come to the meeting this weekend and ask as many questions as you want. You will find that there is no shortage of members who like to talk about the hobby. It is going to be a great meeting!

Welcome Aboard! You are the right place to have questions answered.

Yes, awesome meeting coming up on Saturday. Check the forum header often for future meeting and speakers the club host.

Do not be a stranger and say hello if you make it.

See you around and Good Luck!

Have to wait and see what santa brings! I'll keep you posted. I'm reading alot on RODI water- should I do this to cycle? (Im on well water with high PH)

Back