New RO unit for Xmas!!!!!

ReefKeeper1699

Non-member
My fiancé went out on a whim and bought me this RO unit. Please see link below and help me out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003XELTTG/ref=mw_dp_mdsc?dsc=1&qid=1387982735&sr=8-1

She said she did a lot of research and saw that as one of the better ones. My only concern is it doesn't look like it deionizes....(DI).... She is worried if we should return it or if that is something we can add on? If I don't have the DI will that crash my tank? I know the water I have been buying at lfs was RO not RO/DI. I jus don't know what to do......please help us out.

Also, I think I want to hook it up in the basement with a 55 gallon drum below it. If anyone has a DIY of setting this up or plumbing it or minds coming by to help me it would be huge!!!!

Thanks again and happy holidays!!!!

It's not difficult to add on a DI to that unit. That said, Honestly if returning it is an option you'll get more bang for only slightly more buck with something like this;
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOONIII/TYPHOON-III-AQUARIUM-RODI-75-GPD-or-100-GPD.html

It's hard to see exactly what comes with the unit you linked, but the goodies that would make the difference for me would be;
having a pressure gauge (the unit I posted the link to doesn't have one)
Clear prefilter canisters (so you can easily see when the prefilters get discolored)
Having the auto shut off built in (not to be confused with a mechanical float valve)
Having the flush valves (good for extending the life of the membrane).

That said the one you have should work fine (and it looks like it may actually have a little piggy back DI already) and you can add on DI or any of the other bells and whistles, it'll just cost more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well forget that lol she is all upset now lmao. Apparently I'm rude for wanting to return a gift. I hope it won't ruin my tank

Do I keep it to make her happy or try to I force the other one... For $20 more it looks like I get a lot. She just said she wanted me to be happy with it but it's tough to buy someone a gift for their tank especially someone like me whom is so picky and tanks need proper stuff that hobbiests know about

blame it on me and show her my rude reply above.

She did do good on picking the 75gpd model over another rating.

I could be wrong but it looks like there is a DI filter on top of it after the RO membrane. At least it looks exactly like the one I have which is RO/DI.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes, and the description says 5 stage. It's really not a bad unit and should work fine.

Does it have flush valves? Auto shut off unit (a white plastic thing with 4 tubes connected to it, usually mounted between the bracket and the membrane housing?

IIRC the disadvantage of the piggy back DI is that it's smaller volume (and might not be compatible with refillable cartridges {which are big money savers}). Not the end of the world, but it'll cost you over time.

Also, I was thinking from a purely reefing perspective. That unit does have the drinking water container which definitely does balance out the value assuming you are going to use it for drinking as well as reefing. The AWI unit I linked does not come with that.

You weren't rude at all john lol. I asked for the advise. She just came up to me a little while ago and said return it and get the one that works best . She was just excited because she said she did a lot of research and thought she got the right one. Which it is the right one just not the best one for what I want it to do.

The drinking option is a plus though the one you linked also has a bypass valve before the DI to drinking. I mean it has a faucet but big deal as my fridge has a line. I'll have to feel her out a little more and if she gets more freely and says again to return it I will go with the Reefkeeper. Though this one you can by all the filters in a bundle for $30 I don't know how much they are for the replacement on reefkeeper

Haha, Maybe not rude, but purely functionally thinking with no considerations for her feelings :)

FWIW she really did do a good job of picking out a good deal for what it is. It's a good compromise to get the smaller DI and the drinking water container if making water for drinking is all or half of it's job. For reefing, the biggest consideration is a high rejection rate membrane (75gph filmtec) and minimizing the cost of DI resin/cartridges. If you do exchange for a more reef oriented unit, the full size DI canister will allow you to buy bulk resin and refillable cartridges.

As for the replacement filters, the good news is they are all cross compatible. They are a standard size and any brand of prefilters will work. *following this line of thought... If you haven't already, pull your local water report and see if it has cloramines or not. That will guide you on the right replacements when the time comes.

Also note, you can get replacements for the piggyback DI but I'm not sure on the actual volume of them. At a glance, I'd guess that they hold somewhere between 2/3s -1/2 as much resin as a full sized cartridge, but I could be wrong on that.

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/ADDDIINLINE/Inline-DI-Adder-Kit.html

Evin, do you have any sense of the actual size difference between the piggy back DI and a full sized cartridge?

She is completely cool with me exchanging this one for the awi one. Hopefully it won't cost too much to return this to amazon. She got it under amazon prime. Maybe we can lie and say it was defective? Lol

If you were me john or anyone what would u do . Be brutally honest

This is why I made a rule that she cannot buy me anything reef tank or photography gear without consulting me first. :D Works quite well.
You can add a DI easily on that unit. To me, all RODI unit are the same. You can take out and add anything you want.
I would keep the lady happy and learn about the unit and modify it to get what you really want.

This is why I made a rule that she cannot buy me anything reef tank or photography gear without consulting me first. :D Works quite well.
You can add a DI easily on that unit. To me, all RODI unit are the same. You can take out and add anything you want.
I would keep the lady happy and learn about the unit and modify it to get what you really want.

This. Happy wife, happy life.

Lol I guess in the long run a happy lady means more then a happy tank. Because an unhappy lady can make an unhappy tank. Either route I go I want to hook it up in my basement to a food grade 55 gallon drum with a spicket.

Like I said she is completely fine now either way if I keep it or swap it for the awi or what ever other unit you guys may recommend.

There's no difference. You just need to get your last stage change to a DI. Since they're all 10" canister, it's a standard filter and very easy to find.

Yes. Very easy to do. It comes with the wrench so just put wrap the wrench around the canister housing and turn it clockwise to open the canister and pull out the filter and put in the DI filter. If you get stuck or not comfortable doing it, I'm sure someone at your reef shop can show you. And even if you break any part of it, you can replace it very easily. I think Bulk Reef supply might have a video on RODI. Spend some minutes on their site to learn it.
Not worth it to return and go through the trouble for a new unit which will be the same.

Back