New to Boston Reefers - Seahorse and corals reefs

Hi, my wife and I are new members to Boston Reefers - we live Gloucester. I figure I would discribe our newer Seahorse Coral Reef in brief, at least at first.

We have one 92 gal corner bow above a second 92 gal corner
bow tank - these are 24" tall each, they are plumbed together.

We have opaq dark blue acrilic panels behide 2 of the 3 sides of the tanks and about 50lbs of live rock per tank that are put together with acrlic rods and epoxy, this creates caves , overhanges and ledges - the rock work is off the back glass a few inches (this is for many reasons). - the two tanks are set up diferently. The top tank is designed for Seahores (farm raised) with other corals that are not small or large polp. The lighting here is five true antics and one 14,000 daylight 36" inches T5s, this creates a nice deep blue.
The lower tank - feed from the upper tank - is large and small polp corals w/ fish. With three 250 watt 14,000 k H. with blue and white LEDs.

This tank flowes to a third, a 75 gal in the basement. It is set up as a refrg./ sump and designed as a plenum.
The water change over rate is 790 plus or mins. for the complete system.
I should note that extra needed currents are provided
with a wavemaking system (power heads) this flow rate of water is
a variable of 1200 a hr. for the lower tank and 600 for the upper tank.

We controll the over heating with a dual controll chiller and fan system. We also utilize a protein skimmer, active carbon, phosban with reators and a wet dry system.

Stock is not very high so we don't use a calc reactor, at this time.

This system has been running for a year now. However, we have been running a reef system (soft with some large polp) for the past five years and a salt water fish tank (75 gal) since 1992.

I fail to list the many leasons learned and things I just don't know, but want to learn about. The main dificulty with this system today is that the Nitrate levels is a varable. one day it may be 20 and three days latter it would be 2. Not sure what could posible be the couse - the plentum does not get disturbed and becouse the nitrate levels go down I figure the system is working (I supose it is)?????

Thanks for having this venue and my wife and I look forward in being involve with the Boston Reefers.

Lanesville Seahorse :rolleyes:

Hi,

Thanks for the picture request. I am not sure if I uploaded the pictures we took last fall correctly or not to this post. - I'm such a newbie.

If I did, the attached shows the system as it was about 9 months ago.
Since then the reefs have been added to and some of the plumbing has been revised.

I will plan to photograph and upload the updated reefs in a few days. I will also include the HC/MEP (heating cooling /mechanical electrical and plumbing) with the refg / sump and support system, located in the basement.

Thanks

Lanesville Seahorse:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC_0594-Both-Tanks.jpg
    DSC_0594-Both-Tanks.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC_0564-Sea-H.jpg
    DSC_0564-Sea-H.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC_0582-SeaH.jpg
    DSC_0582-SeaH.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC_0584-SeaH.jpg
    DSC_0584-SeaH.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 333
That's really cool how you have them on top of each other... Really different...

To all of you,

Thank you for your replies and questions on the structural support systems.

For today I offer the below narrative and a few images on the process of construction.

The upper deck is made of African Mahogany and steel, the lower deck is engineer lumber (poplar and exterior adhesive formed under pressure). All of the support framing in integral with the exterior wall framing and is fastened with stainless steel fasteners and glued. The supporting floor was stiffened with additional beams and columns. The tank system in the basement is bearing on a 12" plus thicken slab. All this work was designed and constructed by me, it took about 3 calendar months to complete, time was basically during my free time, I enjoy this sort of thing.

I see that I can only post up to 5 images here, :eek:I will add more information at a latter time.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC_0490.jpg
    DSC_0490.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC_0625.jpg
    DSC_0625.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC_0469.jpg
    DSC_0469.jpg