New to BRS and looking to start a primarily frag focused reef

Lookingtofrag

Non-member
Hey guys. I’ve been reefing for around 7 years now and recently got out of the hobby but I have been having some serious coral “withdrawals” and I am trying to jump back into the hobby hopefully with a frag tank…. Or two ;).

what are your plans so far?
Well when I got my first saltwater tank I was 11 and it was a pre owned 45 gallon tank. I made pretty much every mistake you could and I eventually upgraded to a 75 gallon and a 14 gallon bio cube once I got the hang of things better. Now I am 20 and ready to start my own tank from scratch THE RIGHT WAY. Waiting weeks and weeks for it to cycle, the full 9 yards.

So my main plans with this frag tank is to do it right and see how well I can maximize coral growth. I hope to be able to (best case scenario probably) break even and fund my hobby in an enjoyable way.

Well when I got my first saltwater tank I was 11 and it was a pre owned 45 gallon tank. I made pretty much every mistake you could and I eventually upgraded to a 75 gallon and a 14 gallon bio cube once I got the hang of things better. Now I am 20 and ready to start my own tank from scratch THE RIGHT WAY. Waiting weeks and weeks for it to cycle, the full 9 yards.

So my main plans with this frag tank is to do it right and see how well I can maximize coral growth. I hope to be able to (best case scenario probably) break even and fund my hobby in an enjoyable way.
what sorts of corals have you kept successfully so far?

Lots of soft corals, I had my first coral the entire time I had my tanks. Lots of lps hammers Duncan Acan. Very little sps a meteor shower something or other grew like a weed. I was getting into the more advanced corals and invertebrates when I had a heater malfunction and cook my tank over night, I didn’t lose a single fish from that event but I lost almost all my invertebrates and most of my corals. After that I just grew macro algae and some yellow polyps. About a year later I sold all my live stock because I was going to move.

All the corals I’ve had have grown great for me, the only thing I had problems with was cyano for alittle but but that wasn’t really too bad. Just changed some maintenance practices and ran my lights 2 less hours per day. My main problem came from aptaisa and mojano anemones I think that’s how you spell their names , those little buggers were terrible for awhile but eventually I beat them 100%.

Back