New to BRS 21/2 years in looking to upgrade my biocube29 to 75gallon reef system

reason_reefer

Non-member
Hello to all here at BRS, im in the first stages of my 75 gallon reef build. Looking for some advice, input/opinions from anyone whos been in this position before. Well heres a list of things I have and things I plan on getting:

Maxspect razor 16000k leds 27 inch model
Red sea 1800c protein skimmer
Two vortech MP10w ( think thats right)
Custom built 28 gallon acrylic sump (bought kit on ebay for 87.00$!)
50lbs of key largo dry rock (reefcleaners.com)
30lbs of live rock
120lbs of Bahamas oolite sand
75 gallon tank drilled ( just waiting on the overflow kit from glass-holes.com)
Mag drive return pump 950gph

My fish:
Bicolor angel
Dwarf lion ( they get along great)

My Corals:
Colt, hammer, frogspawn, starpolyps ( in my current system ) 29 gallon biocube w hydor slim skim nano brightly lit under power compacts :)

Any input/advice is welcome thanks

Big step up. I have been in your path before, bc29 to 70g tank.

You wont regret

Pong
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Now does anyone have ideas for stocking options? Heres a few I was thinking of :
Two gold stripe maroon clown fish (mated pair)
Marine betta
Dwarf loin and bicolor angel ( which I already have )
Mixed reef possibly my bicolor has been good so far ( I keep him fed)

:w to the BRS!

Depending on what type of corals you plan on keeping, the two MP10s might not be enough flow for a 75g.

I would be wary of keeping the angel with corals. He may not nip now but might later down the road. I love maroon clowns but they tend to be very aggressive compared to other types.

Yea I was thinking it wouldn't be enough flow either.... maybe one MP40 + one MP10...? my bicolor has been great for the past six months I had him . I hope his/her behavior will continue after the move and addition of corals.

Welcome to BRS!

That is exactly what i did, 29g bio to 75 drilled. Im running an mp40, it seems to be working well, but i think i might add a mp10 as a slave down the road.

Welcome and +1 on the pumps.

2 MP10s would not be enough. I run a MP10W as a master and a MP40W as a slave. I run the MP40 as the slave so I can limit it's "max" speed, which you can't do with the master. It turns out an MP40 at full power is a little too much for my 72G ;).

Higor

Also was thinking, for stocking options adding another angel. Any ideas large/ small that will get along with my bicolor.
(Of course this will be for the 75g when finished)

Thanks for the advice

Hey, no prob. That's why we r here.

I was taking a closer look in ur list and noticed you have Bahamas oolite sand planned for your tank. I had Bahamas oolite sand in my 75G and I also have it in my 72G. It's a great substrate, but recently I have been wishing I had gone with something a little heavier sand. Something like reef flakes. Not the big ones, but the smaller size.

If you are doing a mixed Reef tank, you might realized the flow needed for your corals might stir/kick-up alot of the Oolite sand.

Just something to think about...

Higor

me personally, if i was planning a mixed reef, i would dump the bicolor and stay away from angels. Also, since you have the bicolor, i think it is a big no-no to mix angels.

Back