New to hobby

Macboy

BRS Member
Hi,
Just started my first saltwater tank 3 months ago and totally hooked. I had been thinking for a number of years to get into the hobby but for one reason or another just didn't make the 'leap'. I researched fish and reef keeping and the do's and dont's but still lost a few fish anyway. Went online and discovered this site when a fellow member recommended I check it out and glad I did.
As of now I have a 72 gal folr tank with live sand. My fish include a blue tang (hippo) six line wrasse, flame angel, coral beauty and two false percula clowns. They are all juveniles and doing very well. I did have a case of ich which led to q/t ing and running the tank fallow a month. I just hooked up a 15w gamma uv sterilizer and a powerhead for better circulation....fish seem to be responding to the new and improved environment positively.
Just wanted to introduce myself and say 'hello'. Still have much to learn so I will probably be doing more reading than posting but plan on contributing what I can. Thanks,
Brian

Welcome to the BRS, Brian!

Where are you from?

Sounds like a some good colorful fish there. Enjoy.

Thanks Greg and Barry,

Greg, I live in Methuen. I am on the NH line and use Sea World in Salem for most of my fish, supplies and advice. Also stop in at Aqua Addicts in Salem from time to time. They have been very helpful.
As I mentioned in my intro post my fish are doing excellent and now I am thinking about getting an anemone for my clowns. The clowns get along well with the others especially the blue tang. Assistant at Sea World said once I introduce an anemone the clowns will become somewhat aggresive towards the others. Apparently their instincts will kick in and they will protect the anemone. So not sure about doing this. Don't want to add any unnecessary stress to the environment after dealing with ich. Also, I don't have the proper lighting necessary for anemones.
Eventually, as I gain more experience, I would like introduce corals. Pricing the lighting now....not cheap but that's ok.
Anyway, thanks for the welcome.
Brian

Welcome. Be forewarned, once people start thinking they'd like more than FOWLR, they end up heading down the long, but very exciting path to a full blow reef tank! :D

WelcomeBRS.jpg

Newbie question for the forum....
Should I install an air pump for my 72 gal FOWLR tank? I have six juveniles and two peppermint shrimp and some hermit crabs. Hearing differing opinions on this.
OK 2nd newbie question, I have a flame angel and a coral beauty. Not a good mix I know but the tank is big enough that they have their own space. Still the coral beauty charges at the flame angel when in proximity. The flame angel just goes about eating algae and sometimes charges back at the c beauty. Should I exchange one angel for better compatability?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't put in an air stone, if you're running a skimmer that should give your tank plenty of 02. Also if you don't have a top on the tank that helps with 02. If you're running a couple of powerheads that will help as well.

I used to have 2 pygmy angels in my 55 (a coral and a flame as well) and they acted like yours are. I'd just keep an eye on them. Is it like a charge at each other and beat the crap outa each other? If it's just like them chasing them around that shouldn't be a problem but like I said keep and eye on them and make sure it doesn't turn ugly.

The coral beauty just chases the flame out of his way. The flame sometimes stands its ground and the cb swims away and they go about doing what they do...eating algae off the live rock. So hopefully this will work out. The cb charges at my royal tang sometimes as well but the tang pretty much ignores him. Other than that, the tank is pretty peaceful.
I have yet to get a protein skimmer but do have a powerhead that agitates the water enough that I see a lot of bubbles swirling around in the tank.
Thanks for the reply.

oh btw...sorry Moe for addressing you as Greg in my reply to your welcome...saw the name Greg in your P.S. Anyway, as I mentioned great site and thanks.
Brian

Thanks Greg and Barry,

Greg, I live in Methuen. I am on the NH line and use Sea World in Salem for most of my fish, supplies and advice. Also stop in at Aqua Addicts in Salem from time to time. They have been very helpful.
As I mentioned in my intro post my fish are doing excellent and now I am thinking about getting an anemone for my clowns. The clowns get along well with the others especially the blue tang. Assistant at Sea World said once I introduce an anemone the clowns will become somewhat aggresive towards the others. Apparently their instincts will kick in and they will protect the anemone. So not sure about doing this. Don't want to add any unnecessary stress to the environment after dealing with ich. Also, I don't have the proper lighting necessary for anemones.
Eventually, as I gain more experience, I would like introduce corals. Pricing the lighting now....not cheap but that's ok.
Anyway, thanks for the welcome.
Brian

Brian I am in Methuen also so if you need any help let me know.

Thanks Ray for the offer to help out, appreciate it.
I just lost my flame angel tonight. I am so bummed out. He had what looked like a case of ich. I put him in the q/t tank with a dose of copper and when I shut the light to the tank for the night he went into a spasm and died. Apparently the move to the q/t tank stressed him even more. Thought I was doing the right thing. Poor guy was really happy in the big tank. Wondering if I should have just left him alone.

i wouldnt worry about it, if he did have ick then all your other fish most likely would have contracted the illness as well.

Learned a lesson with keeping two dwarf angels....don't unless they are compatable. The flame and coral beauty stressed each other out and both got a case of ich. Unfortunately, the q/t move came too late for both. Since regrouped and did a 20% water change. Remaining fish doing very well. Added a fire shrimp yesterday and he is settling in. Tested all parameters today and all good.
Looking to upgrade the lighting to t5's, just seems the natural way to go.
Oh...next fish is going to be a yellow wrasse and another flame but putting on the brakes for now.
Taking some pix of tank this week and will post up. Thanks all who have responded.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh btw...sorry Moe for addressing you as Greg in my reply to your welcome...saw the name Greg in your P.S. Anyway, as I mentioned great site and thanks.
Brian
No worries.
You may hear that foul-mouthed Greg Hiller pitching a fit because you confused our identities, though. I swear that guy may have Tourette's. ;)

>You may hear that foul-mouthed Greg Hiller pitching a fit because you confused our identities, though. I swear that guy may have Tourette's.<

Actually it runs in my family. My brother had quite a tick when he was young, grew out of it fortunately. All I do is clear my throat 10,000 times a day. :)

I'm just a new guy aroung here so I'll be stayin outta this one but feel free to continue using my thread to bash each other....It gets my mind off of what I can buy next for my tank. :D

Back