New to hobby

Ok...new guy question(s) on my tanks water quality. Salinity is good. Nitrate is 5.0ppm, nitrite is 0ppm, ammonia 0.10ppm, Alk 2.0ppm and pH 8.6.
Concerned about the nitrate level...would like to bring it down. The other issue is the high pH reading. Shouldn't it be 8.3 for a marine tank? How do I bring it down to that? A buffer? Any other issues with these test results?
I used Red Sea test kit. Thanks
Brian

The ammonia should read 0. 10ppm for Nitrate isn't that bad. If you want to bring that down you could add a refugium with cheato. My 55g used to be at 5-10 but since putting in an fuge it's 0.

If you want constant pH you need to get your Alk in check. You need to get a test kit and then slowly bring up your Alk. You could buy a buffer or you could make your own. I have to find the link... give me a few mins...

Ok...new guy question(s) on my tanks water quality. Salinity is good. Nitrate is 5.0ppm, nitrite is 0ppm, ammonia 0.10ppm, Alk 2.0ppm and pH 8.6.
Concerned about the nitrate level...would like to bring it down. The other issue is the high pH reading. Shouldn't it be 8.3 for a marine tank? How do I bring it down to that? A buffer? Any other issues with these test results?
I used Red Sea test kit. Thanks
Brian
It's a new tank, right?

Just wait for the cycle to finish. Ammonia will drop to zero. Shortly afterwards, the nitrites and nitrates will both drop off.

When things have stabilized, you can work on the pH, alk, and calcium.

Thanks Moe and afbound...
Yes Moe, it is a new tank...little over three mos now up and running. The fish all look to be doing great and the inverts too. So, I will let the tank run its cycle and test again this weekend (after a partial water change).
Looking at protien skimmers and t5 lighting now....want to start with the corals and anemones....oh boy, what did I get myself into..:eek:

Looking for some advice/guidance on protein skimmers. Can anyone recommend one appropriate for my 72gal tank? The possibility of getting a bigger tank down the road is a factor in this investment so just want to note that (talking maybe 100gal tank eventually...don't tell my wife). I am looking online at Foster and Smith and they recommend the Turboflotor 1000. Also looking at the Coralife Super Skimmer. Just a lot to choose from (not always a bad thing I guess) and being new not sure which way I should go.
Thanks everyone....oh, pix coming soon if anyone's interested (procrastinating on hooking up my dig. camera to the computer....geeshh how lazy is that?):rolleyes:

The online chat this past Sat. night was pretty good. Picked up a few pointers and much appreciated advice regarding corals. My question about skimmers was answered when it was suggested I go with a EuroReef protien skimmer.
Not sure if this will fit in my sump. I have the Amiracle slim line sump.
Tank is running great and all inhabitants doing very well.

Hello there, and welcome!
Just a suggestion, but I find that a lot more people look at the Reef Talk forum. You'll probably get more responces to any questions you have.
Don't worry about asking "dumb" questions. We all ask them and in the beginning there is a lot to learn, so just keep asking! :)

Thanks Jennifer,
I will start posting in the other forum with all my newbie questions. :)

Back