New to the forum and hobby.

hurdbird

BRS Member
Hi everyone,

I'm just starting to get into saltwater fish tanks. I recently purchased a 90 gallon tank setup from a person off of craigslist. I am looking to have live rock with live sand and fish to start and eventually move into some corals. I'm currently waiting on my RODI filter to come in so I can fill my tank and go pick up my live rock and sand to start my first tank cycle. I have a wet/dry system with bio balls right now. Should I be removing the bio balls and replacing with a filter sock and purchasing a protein skimmer? I've read many different reviews. How are the g-4 in sump protein skimmers? Even though I plan to only have a FOWLR tank at first, should I still buy a powerhead or two to get some good waterflow going. My tank has a built in overflow and my return pump is pretty strong, moves the water pretty well but I'd be buying powerheads eventually anyways for my corals down the road. Are the Koralia powerheads good for the money? Thank you in advance and I can already see why this hobby is so addicting haha.

Sean

welcome. there are many opinions on the questions you ask, and not all are either exactly right or wrong ways. I would recommend a protein skimmer, remove the bioballs and get some powerheads. The bioballs have been known to cause nitrate spikes in tanks... It's a great start with RO/DI. I didn't start that way with my first tank and had many problems with my tap water.

I would for sure make a list of what you would like to keep and look at their requirements. Some like higher water flow and some like lighter flow. This list will help you put together what you will need.
I can't speak to the g-4, but for the Koralia powerheads... I run these and like them. I have not run any others, so I can't compare them... but I like mine.

Good luck. Read through the forums, they have answers to almost every question that I've personally needed answered.

Welcome to BRS!! It shows you have done some research which is a great start. Like mentioned everyone has there methods and opinions so take as many as you can find and come up what will work for you and your system. From my research I would stay away from bio balls and definitely pick up a skimmer. I have no experience with the one you mentioned. I like Koralia's powerheads they are lower on the budget and work great IMO. Like mentioned amount of flow is determined by what you are keeping. On average 1 or 2 will do the trick unless you need high flow every where. Check out our marketplace people are always buying, selling, and trading stuff. Where are you getting the LR and sand? What kind of stuff would you like to keep?

Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask questions

Welcome, I just picked up a 90g RR tank about 6-weeks ago to expand from my 46G. I love the 90G, it is just the right size. Big enough to add to (Rocks, fish, critters, etc.), but not so large to cost a year's salary to maintain and stock. I have a Mag 9.5 for my return pump and it works great with alot of water curculation for fish and my mushrooms are doing great. Only problem I have is that it is too much flow for my filter sock and just pours over the top and I will need to invest in something larger than I have. I will add some powerheads as I expand my coral collection. I have a couple Koralia's in my 46G, and personnaly do not like their large size and prefer the smaller power heads, more flow for the size. I would also get rid of the bio-balls (must have been a freshwater tank in the past) and pickup a good protein skimmer. When I set up my 46G I wasn't aware of Bostonreefers and paid full price for everything at first from LFS or online catalog then someone told me about this club and I have saved a fortune since, including my new 90G, live sand, live rock, pump, etc. If you can get some really good live rock from other members it will really shorten your cycling time significantly. The cycling period for my 90G was fast and hardly noticable. Good Luck - yes it is addictive.

Hey Welcome to the club. I'm the cleaner and baby sitter in my family so I dont have any recomendations for you.. Just take it slow and enjoy it..

Thanks for all the replies guys. I definitely researched alot in the past couple weeks. I actually picked up 100 pounds of live sand today from an LFS. I got the bagged live sand even though I've read it is probably all dead anyways when you get it. It will turn with the live rock I am getting either way as I have read. I am buying 120 pounds of live rock next week from a person off craigslist that has had his tank established for about two years (75% tonga and 25% figi with a little bit of live base rock at this point as well.) Should I remove my bio balls before I even start to cycle my tank? The plan is to be a FOWLR for about 6 months most likely then slowly start corals. If I remove the bio balls, will the filter pad located above the bio balls and a protien skimmer plus the live rock be enough filtration to keep my levels right? I am most likely going to buy a used ASM G-4 protein skimmer next weekend to throw in my sump. They retail for around $400. Anyone have prior experience with them? What size Koralia powerheads would I need for my 90 gallon if I was going to put two in? I want to buy these now so I will be ready for coral when the time comes in. How much total water do I need to be moving gph wise in a 90 gallon reef tank? Thanks.

Sean

I am going to start posting pictures to keep everyone in the loop with my progress as well.

this is a two part anwer IMO!

Q: "How much total water do I need to be moving gph wise in a 90 gallon reef tank? Thanks."

A: you only want two to three times turn over. meaning you only want a pump that will let you have a 90G and 20G sump. that would be pump that could do 330 GPH. plus like 5ft. of lift so you get a pump that runs 500-800 GPH you could gate it back if needed or add a inline reactor! your water movement in the tank should come from powerheads not your return. although your return with create some movement. I have my returns only making surface movement to make my halides shimmer.The rest of the movement is from 4 Koraila 1050's in a 75G w/30G sump-fug

Q: "If I remove the bio balls, will the filter pad located above the bio balls and a protien skimmer plus the live rock be enough filtration to keep my levels right? "

A: the Bio balls need to GO! they house and harvest nitrites,nitrates. The bio balls work great in a fish only setup with little rock, fish can handle higher levels of nitrite's and nitrate's then coral's. There isnt alot you can do while cycling your tank but wait, the levels in your tank are going to jump all over the place! thats why its recomended to have nothing else in the tank at this time! As far as a skimmer goes get the biggest you can afford and fit!!! There are alot of different thoughts about skimmers. Im is if your skimmer is always skimming then it to small because it isnt skimming everything out of the tank. if you over size by like 50% it wont skimmer all the time because it will have removed everything already till you feed or something dies,or goes to the bathroom! on the other hand people say when you over skimmer you take out good things like trace elements! this is true, But i would rather take out all the bad and some good then replace the good i took out with dosing!

Sorry for being long winded! could go on for sometime!
This is just my 2 cents, other may feel different!

Last edited:
Welcome!

Plan ahead and pick your fish wisely! You don't want to get stuck with fish that will prevent you from doing what your planning (example = not reef safe or large aggressive)

Well, I decided on a SWC cone 160 protein skimmer and 2 1400 Koralia power heads. The heads are controllable so I plan on getting a controll box before I start coral. Waiting for the RODI until Tuesday so I can start filling my tank for the third time haha but I'd rather do it right the first time. Thank you for all your help and I will have many more questions as I am new to the hobby but I have done my research. Too bad this hobby is so addicting so quick haha. Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Would anyone be willing to hold two tangs (a blue hippo and a yellow tang probably medium sized at most for both for about 30 days for me? I will give you a large maroon clown plus cash if you can help me out. Thanks for all the info.

Sean

Wecome to the BRS!:w

Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank, so take it one step at a time. You're asking a lot of good questions already, which is great.

Ok so I will be starting to fill my tank tomorrow as soon as UPS gets here. Where should I locate my powerheads. I currently have my two 1400 Koralia powerheads in the front upper corners pointing down towards the middle of the tank. I have two outlets off of my return pump that I pointed into the opposite corners (back corners) of the powerheads. I am hoping this would allow me to get nice flow going with no dead spots. What do you guys think? Also, will the 1400 Koralia powerheads pointed down towards the middle of the tank to strong for the corals and fish? I realize it differs for corals but do these powerheads create serious force? Thanks.

Sean

you are off to a great start! i think your going to find out that you will want move flow then that if your ever going to go with sps! im running 4 koralia 1050 and 1 1400 in my 75!!! i have the 4 1050's on the two sides up in the corners point towards the middle of the rock work on a wave maker and the 1400 on the middle back glass flowing straight a head to make random flow!!! i could house the fish for you but i think the drive is a bit long for you! let me know!

I'm trying haha. I really appreciate it J.Rocknuts. I will keep that in mind. The offer for the maroon clown and cash is still available. Here are some pics with the new black background and the RODI running. Slowly but surely haha.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have the tank 3/4 filled with RODI water. Mixed in the salt today and brought the temperature up to 78 degrees. I also bought 120 pounds of fiji / tanga live rock from a 3 year old established aquarium. It is currently sitting in plastic bins submerged in the previous owners tank water until my salt settles. Hopefully tomorrow, everything will be settled so I can start aquascaping and get this cycle on the road. I'm excited. I also got a maroon with yellow stripe clown about 3'', a 3'' hippo tang and a 3'' yellow tang that will be finding my friends tank home for the time being. More pictures to come tomorrow. Should I be running my filter, protein skimmer, powerheads and heaters while my tank is cycling? Should I run the lights at all as well? Thanks in advance.

Sean

Please see the pictures below of some of the new live rock I picked up yesterday. I was a little nervous when I showed up to buy it because it seemed to be a bit more brown than I was expecting. Is this a problem? Does that rock look healthy enough to cycle my tank with? I think I could probably bring it back to normal eventually. Thanks guys.

Back